Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading various posts as to the relative usefullness of the rear speakers, I came up with a rather interesting idea. Feel free to laugh!

My ultimate plan is to replace the monsoon amp with a separate 4 ch amp for the front and rear comps and then add a second amp for the sub.

Currenly I have only replaced the tweets in the front and kept the mid-woofers in. I have a feeling that replacing the stock 2 ohm mid-woofs with 4 ohm ones and then driving them with the Monsoon amp (even if only temporarily as I install the new amp) will be less than desireable as the Monsoon amp won't be able to push them well.

But I was thinking of just replacing the tweets in the rear and leaving the rears intack with the Monsoon amp. Then drive the new front comps with a new amp as well as a sub.

Of course this completely eliminates any possibility of adding an equalizer... but considering how those rear speakers have thier bass boosted by the Monsoon amp... I was thinking it might sound pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
So you want to continue to run the rears off the Monsoon and get a 3-channel amp for the fronts and sub? There's got to be a 3-channel with independent gains on it to eliminate the need for that adapter.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
StLB5 said:
Did you order the 4-ohm sub?
It's on the way! At least they said it would be as of tomorrow.

StLB5 said:
Another question, whats the difference between a 3-channel amp and a 4-channel running one side bridged?
Is that supposed to be a riddle?? LOL

Actually makes more sense to buy a 4 ch amp to use in this way. And then get another 2 ch amp for the rear someday.

Gives me more flexibility for the future since every amp I every amp I have even purchased is functioning fine. (Including a 22 yr old ADS (when they were ADS, not a/d/s ) Power Plate that drives the sub in the back of my Golf.) In fact, once the Golf does die that amp could power the rear comp in the Passat.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd get a 4 channel amp and bridge 2 channels to give yourself more power. You can get tons of power out of an amp that way. Remember that more power means clearer sound at all volume levels.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
so you have a 4-ohm 10w3v2 going in the back, what components are you looking at? Just a guess, but something that handles 100watts would work well. That way you can get a 100X4 amp to feed 100 to each of your fronts and 400 to the sub.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a pair (actually 2) CDT Audio HD-62/CF's. I think they are rated at 90 w/RMS. Going with a 100x 4 is probably okay.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was thinking about this whole idea and realized that the results would probably be disappointing. No doubt the front comps and the sub would sound great.. but I would probably have trouble balancing the rear with the whole setup. In other words, the Monsoon amp will be so underpowered compared to the rest of the system that I won't hear it at all.

So I guess I am probably back to plan "A".. a four channel amp for the front and rear and then a 2 ch bridgeable amp for the sub

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.