Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving down the highway at 80 mph I pushed the pedal all the way to the floor and my car downshifted to 3rd and the RPM's soared to 6k.
I was wondering what the deal was. If I am in 3 it downshifts to 1st and redlines, then I have to upshift back to 3rd, fourth, etc...

I have a '99 1.8T Tip

Thanks,

Jimmy

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
if it is tip it should know what its doing. and 6 is not red lineing, or maybe it is in your car. it sounds right to me, but maybe im wrong

·
Registered
54 Posts
yah thats normal happens to me all the time the reason is you get better engine response in lower gear because as the gears change you will notice the engine does not make as much noise when it is in third the engine is reacting more by burning more fuel and basically just working harder so dont worry its not like theres something wrong with your transmission but there might be if you notice that theres something odd dont take my word for it you should go get it checked out just thought i would give my input you dont ahve to listen to it

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The tranny adjusts to get the power that you wanted, that is all. 6k is not redline, I might worry about that in a v8 ford or something, but not a VW.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You have a kickdown switch at the bottom of the travel, you can feel it if you floor it enough (hmmm I guess that is why I know exactly where mine is). It will generally kick down to the lowest gear possible. If you do not want it to do this, then either use your tip mode, or do not push the gas pedal down that last inch. If you play around for a while, you will find it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The kickdown can be used to make a double downshift quickly. I asked about this a little while back because basically it scared the [email protected]#$ outta me. Its a feature of the car and can be very useful. If you're cruising along in 5th at say 40-45 (this is with a tip), you can put it into tip mode and tap the kickdown switch. Instead of doing a somewhat powerful 5-4 downshift, you will drop from 5-3 and in my experience (especially with a chip) take off like a rocket. Just make sure your engine is nice and warm! Have fun!

-Wapptor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts