Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking my oil and I noticed my crankcase breather hose is completely gone. There is oil mess everywhere down there, which explains the burning smell. How long can I put this off, I can't fix it myself. Pissed cuz I just had my valve cover gasket replaced and that looks like it's leaking again.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,137 Posts
Depends on your tolerance for poor running and an oily mess all over the engine compartment. I don't think it'll actually break anything else driving that way, but I sure as hell wouldn't do it. And, while messy and awkward, it's not really that big a job to DIY or pay for. Fix it.

Hint: If you keep going through gaskets, good chance the PCV system (which includes that breather) is the reason.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tolerance is pretty high right now for poor running. my turbo is shot, control arms have to replaced etc... etc...Sounds like this is a job I can handle. Thanks for the advice again :)

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Well, the hardest part of the job is getting the old one off without damaging it... looks like you can skip the "not damage it" part. :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
just did this job a few weekends ago, its a knuckle buster, but just be patient and use this forum to your advantage. The guys here have a great write up for it and I ran into literally zero questions or hangups - it's just time consuming and frustrating but not difficult by any means.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts