Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Have you been at eBay lately? nothing is cheap any more. Everything has substantially got expensive.
Matter of fact yes, yes I have. Made the score of a lifetime to boot.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I remember this car very well, it was featured in a Eurotuner magazine that i still own! the name of the owner is Jason Livelsberger, the name of the article was "Un-Passable" and it's the October 2005 magazine. I'm sure you can google search that. I hope this helps you find the owner and sort it out! Is the plug on the fire wall that the crank sensor usually plugs into (i think gray in color) is missing as well? maybe trace that from a wiring diagram first and go from there. Maybe pickup a Bentley manual in the process i'm sure it will help. Is it a standalone management or regular ECU? If you cant find a crank sensor this car shouldn't run, and there is no way that i know of to relocate or run without it. Its got to be there.

PS: one a side note, i showed that to my son and he grew up on Passatworld and Eurotuner magazine and this one was one of his favorite ones when he was young. He just showed him that and said if you can't figure it out and decide to sell it, he WILL buy it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
1999 vw passat 1.8. Had issues starting previous owner says it floods easy don't press gas. Well it starts using the gas on start. If you don't it will turn 10sec before cranking. So I first check the inter motor crank beside oil filter. To my surprise it isn't there and only athe hole. No harness nothing to plug into with new. But the car runs good except for a rough idle at start but it smooths out after computer makes adjustment.

Talking about this hole? I got stumped by this once, too. IIRC it's for the v6 passat/manual. To other issue on hard starts... I've been chasing this problem for a long time and two rebuilds later, a conversion to fsi 2.0 (latest revision) coils, plugs, custom built engine harness, new 2Ga grounds, regulator, injectors(& seals), pump... starts still take 3-4ish seconds. What did help the most in shortening the crank to start time was replacing the fuel pump. There's an internal check valve on that pump, so when you put the key in and 1/2 turn, it primes/builds pressure (can hear it in trunk if you drop a back seat/measure a brief voltage jump with a meter, to see it's priming). If that check valve is shot, built up pressure from prime will just dump back into tank. ATM I just have a cheapo pump in till $ for a bosch, but it's working in mean time/shorter cranks.

Is it just idlying rough, say lots of vibrations when started or coming to a stop? or rpm's bumping up/down?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
View attachment 99547
Talking about this hole? I got stumped by this once, too. IIRC it's for the v6 passat/manual. To other issue on hard starts... I've been chasing this problem for a long time and two rebuilds later, a conversion to fsi 2.0 (latest revision) coils, plugs, custom built engine harness, new 2Ga grounds, regulator, injectors(& seals), pump... starts still take 3-4ish seconds. What did help the most in shortening the crank to start time was replacing the fuel pump. There's an internal check valve on that pump, so when you put the key in and 1/2 turn, it primes/builds pressure (can hear it in trunk if you drop a back seat/measure a brief voltage jump with a meter, to see it's priming). If that check valve is shot, built up pressure from prime will just dump back into tank. ATM I just have a cheapo pump in till $ for a bosch, but it's working in mean time/shorter cranks.

Is it just idlying rough, say lots of vibrations when started or coming to a stop? or rpm's bumping up/down?
Thanks buddy and yes that hole. This is my first vw and it's been my difficult than my Toyota or dodge by far. Thanks for giving me somewhere else to look. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I remember this car very well, it was featured in a Eurotuner magazine that i still own! the name of the owner is Jason Livelsberger, the name of the article was "Un-Passable" and it's the October 2005 magazine. I'm sure you can google search that. I hope this helps you find the owner and sort it out! Is the plug on the fire wall that the crank sensor usually plugs into (i think gray in color) is missing as well? maybe trace that from a wiring diagram first and go from there. Maybe pickup a Bentley manual in the process i'm sure it will help. Is it a standalone management or regular ECU? If you cant find a crank sensor this car shouldn't run, and there is no way that i know of to relocate or run without it. Its got to be there.

PS: one a side note, i showed that to my son and he grew up on Passatworld and Eurotuner magazine and this one was one of his favorite ones when he was young. He just showed him that and said if you can't figure it out and decide to sell it, he WILL buy it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for the info. And tell your son I'm not currently seeing me sell it. I also grew up seeing this car around and fell in love with it as well. To find it on Facebook marketplace stored by a painter in SC was just incredible. In the middle of no where. But I can't believe how well and smooth she rides for the height she sits at. I haven't scubed once. But if I do ill let you know.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,016 Posts
Do you see the sensor in the upper left of that pic? That is the sensor we're looking for..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Do you see the sensor in the upper left of that pic? That is the sensor we're looking for..
I do Thank you for you help. I appreciate it greatly. I'll let you know how it works out. I won't be able to get to it till this weekend.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Thanks for the info. And tell your son I'm not currently seeing me sell it. I also grew up seeing this car around and fell in love with it as well. To find it on Facebook marketplace stored by a painter in SC was just incredible. In the middle of no where. But I can't believe how well and smooth she rides for the height she sits at. I haven't scubed once. But if I do ill let you know.
I figure you are not selling since you just got it, and it still looks really good for sure! If you ever decide yes give me a PM for sure. Good luck this weekend working on it and give us an update!

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,016 Posts
Good eyes there VG, he is also missing connector from axle output,what is up with that?
That was AEBodemus' pic, so I assume it was unplugged for a reason. Probably in the middle of a job and took a pic. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I figure you are not selling since you just got it, and it still looks really good for sure! If you ever decide yes give me a PM for sure. Good luck this weekend working on it and give us an update!
Sure will buddy thanks again.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts