Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a new issue idk but I looked and looked in previous posts. Newly bought 1999 vw passat 1.8. Had issues starting previous owner says it floods easy don't press gas. Well it starts using the gas on start. If you don't it will turn 10sec before cranking. So I first check the inter motor crank beside oil filter. To my surprise it isn't there and only athe hole. No harness nothing to plug into with new. But the car runs good except for a rough idle at start but it smooths out after computer makes adjustment. Idk what to do it's really above my pay grade. Every mechanic is puzzled and don't want to mess with it.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,563 Posts
Did you mean you have checked and there is no crank speed sensor? If that's the case it's no surprise the car has tremendous trouble to crank if at all. Check carefully again and if there is none get one and install it and the issue will be resolved. But given the car is from 1999 expect that many parts have already worn out and perhaps need replacement. I hope you got the car for free.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not hardly I paid 4k and it's not there. I checked. It runs great after a few Mins. I would replace if I had somewhere to plug it up too. There is no place to plug a harness up to if I should buy. Mechanics have been baffled. And can't seems to find some kind of bypass of some sort. They can't figure out how it runs and runs as good as it does. It has only 95k on it. Mystery continues

·
2,563 Posts
Wait! Does your tacho work? If I'm not mistaken, if there's no crank sensor the tacho should not show the speed. It could also be other sensor that shows the speed.

Nevertheless, I believe you still need a crank sensor. I'm baffled how you can start the car without one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait! Does your tacho work? If I'm not mistaken, if there's no crank sensor the tacho should not show the speed. It could also be other sensor that shows the speed.

Nevertheless, I believe you still need a crank sensor. I'm baffled how you can start the car without one.
So is everyone else. Lol. But it runs awesome when going it sometimes bogs down when I stop but doesn't stall and regains correct idle. I'll take a Pic tomorrow and post. No matter I knew some tlc would be needed when I bought. The car is an local legend here from back in the day at car shows. Guy dropped more money in the car than I would have. It's still a head turner after 20years. I figured even if dropped new engine in it when I bought it I would be k. Tack works.
4584.jpeg
4574.jpeg
4580.jpeg
4584.jpeg
4586.jpeg

Attachments

·
2,563 Posts
No matter what happens you can always rent this as a luxury Hotel room to local visitors :LOL:

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
The crank sensor on the 1.8T is hidden behind the oil filter. You may need a mirror to see it. If it's installed in the hole for the trans, that could be the issue. That's for the V6 crank sensor as they use the same trans cases.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The crank sensor on the 1.8T is hidden behind the oil filter. You may need a mirror to see it. If it's installed in the hole for the trans, that could be the issue. That's for the V6 crank sensor as they use the same trans cases.
It's not there, just a 2 holes one for sensor other for 10mm

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Something smells fishy around here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the crank sensors don’t connect to a harness per say, there are two connectors on the fire wall that they plug into and the location depends on your engine Configuration, look behind the coolant reservoir on the left hand side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
let me clear up my voice messaging auto corrects,( whoops! ) there are three connectors on the fire way side by side, two are knock sensors and the one white connector should be the speed sensor connectors. I don’t know if the colors of the connectors have changed over the years as I know the the connector location has depending on the engine layout.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe contact the original owner and ask him what the f*@# he did?
I've tried and exhausted resources on finding the right guy. Paper trail died before locating him. I was hoping someone on here would recognize the car. Long shot but who built the car obviously loved the passat I looks like new on outside and in. I'm thinking the apr computer is making mad corrections. Idk. But I was able to find a apr shop local that I hope worked on it.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,016 Posts
I remember seeing this car on some forums back in the day, but cannot for the life of me remember who it was. They were probably on VW Vortex more as it didn't pop up here much.

Pictures speak volumes. Can you try to snap a pic of the location of the missing sensor behind the oil filter? Not that we don't believe you, but if someone is new to these motors, they might not necessarily see many things out of place.

Also, get a cheap scanner and pull codes. That will tell a lot as well. You can get a cheap ELM327 bluetooth or WiFi OBDII plug in to use with smartphone apps on amazon or eBay. Torque is great for Android. If Apple, try OBD Auto Doctor.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,016 Posts

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
I remember the original build and then it was sold and the 2nd owner had issues with it. I can't remember names, but the 2nd owner was in the military.

·
2,563 Posts
$10-$15 isn't cheap?
If you have lost your job I would say "No"!

And yes, I have ordered stuff almost every week from Ebay. It's a sickness 😆.
I had that chronic disease until I got stuck in Toronto and can't order anything because I'm not there when they deliver it. So I kicked out the habit and I'm sober for 3 months now :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts