Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nenad had mentioned the Autospeedperformance crank pulley...does anyone actually have it installed, esp. on a V6 4motion.

If so, how do you like it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No response to the question...I hope that doesn't mean that no one has this pulley installed...maybe I'll have to be the first on my block.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Me, I installed it. But it seams I am the only one.No drwabacks at all. Maybe Glockfan will do it in near future, watch out for his posts.

cheers,

Nenad

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
If you ask me in HP I can't tell because I didn't made dyno before and after. Personal feeling&experience is this:
Car is behaving like have much less weight, reaching higher revs MUCH easier,very good response on low&mid revs, in HP I would say min 5-6 on wheels. All this with worst possible combo, I have 4Mo with Tip and in addition Wagon. On start car is snapping in 1st and 2nd like it is manual gearshift, after 4500 rpms car is getting "2nd breath" and you have something like additional push. On dyno last week they could not make precise measures but by some strange calculation from their experience they estimated car power on engine 230 HP.
If you use pulley with Manual g-box and FWD I am sure it will be blast, dyno calculated that 4Mo with tiptronic is loosing 32% :shock: :cry: of power from engine to wheels, compare that with 15% of lost on Manual&FWD with same engine.
In short, it is expensive but it worth, indeed.

cheers

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
dsk64 has one IIRC. I'm planning one, and if I can, let me know everyone that wants one for a V6 and I'll try to get a group buy. Give me atleast 10, and maybe we can get it under $180.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nenad said:
If you ask me in HP I can't tell because I didn't made dyno before and after. Personal feeling&experience is this:
Car is behaving like have much less weight, reaching higher revs MUCH easier,very good response on low&mid revs, in HP I would say min 5-6 on wheels. All this with worst possible combo, I have 4Mo with Tip and in addition Wagon. On start car is snapping in 1st and 2nd like it is manual gearshift, after 4500 rpms car is getting "2nd breath" and you have something like additional push. On dyno last week they could not make precise measures but by some strange calculation from their experience they estimated car power on engine 230 HP.
If you use pulley with Manual g-box and FWD I am sure it will be blast, dyno calculated that 4Mo with tiptronic is loosing 32% :shock: :cry: of power from engine to wheels, compare that with 15% of lost on Manual&FWD with same engine.

cheers
Nenad, have you chipped? What other performance mods on your car? Exhaust, Intake etc.?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
iconnx said:
Nenad said:

cheers
Nenad, have you chipped? What other performance mods on your car? Exhaust, Intake etc.?
This is list of engine mods up to now:

chip Digi-Tec (declared + 18hp)
intake BMC CDA (declared +5-7hp)
adjustable FPR from FSE (declared +7-10hp)
crank pulley autospeedperformance (declared +12hp)
P/S&Alternator pulleys from Unortodox Racing (not declared, if gained anything not more than 3hp)
Supersprint muflers+resonator for Audi A6Q (bigger diameter of piping) (declared +5mufflers& +7resonator)
In total is huge gain,but this is in theory.First, I do not beleive all of them are correct numbers and second, to tune engine is not simply aggregating digits of gains. you must pay attention on assembling things that are interactive (like air intake and exhaust,etc.).So, some digits are complementary and "swallow" each other.

Arriving headers and cat substitutions(with place for lambda) from S-sprint,hoping to boost lows and mids. In theory up to 20hp can be found in headers, but even with 10hp it will be good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd be interested in the autospeed crank pulley if a group buy can be put together. I like the fact that it is a OE-sized lightened pulley instead of the underdriven type. As far as "bang for the buck", it seems to be a nice mod.
Let me know if something develops.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
you're # 3 counting myself. I'm going to try to get this accomplished. We like to mod', and they like to make money. Should work like a charm. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Sheesh Nenad, you must have that list saved on another document - I swear you get asked "what do you have on your car" everday! haha....

Im in for a group buy...well worth it, even 200 bucks is cheap - compared to a $350+ chip.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Well I bought one for my 1.8T AEB engine and was planning on installing it during last weekends Timing Belt charge day (six, 1.8T cars in all got their TB's changed, all at once!). But things didn't go as well as I was hoping for. The pulley is still sitting in a box on my work bench! :mad: :mad: The freaking holes wouldn't line up so I couldn't mount it. I spent well over an hour trying to get the holes to line up. Nothing I did worked. Also, the timing mark wasn't in the right spot for the correct way the pulley needed to be mounted. I was a little upset. I bought it from the guy after I talked to him at length about his product and felt he had covered many of the bases I was concerned about. It is his belief that there is a difference between the Passat 1.8T engine and the Audi A4 1.8T engine. How? and or Why would it be different??? :???: :???: :???: :???: So now, I am thinking that I may give it one more try, which means that I'll have to fully remove my front end again and possibly even the whole radiator this time around just so that I can fully visulize the holes and make sure it will or will not work. A lot of the work needs to be done by feel and touch more than actual seeing because the radiator is still so close to the pulley area. Maybe a mirror would help, but even still, I wasn't happy at all after spending $200 for the part. I am in contact with him and he said he would make it right for me, but at this time I still don't have a light wieght pulley on my car and I don't have my $200. :( :cry: This will all have to be resolved in the next few weeks as I need the car all next week to work. :sad: :sad:

I just thought this might be relivent to your discussion here. In no way am I slamming AutoSpeed Performance. I'll wait and see how this gets resolved

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
O22Ripper said:
Sheesh Nenad, you must have that list saved on another document - I swear you get asked "what do you have on your car" everday! haha....

Im in for a group buy...well worth it, even 200 bucks is cheap - compared to a $350+ chip.
No, but like you I would like to make something like "manual instruction for V6 fan" so all of us can easy learn from each others experience.that is why I am writting as much as I know, so others can compare my experience with their.
But I can tell you US is candy shop for B5 V6 owner. In EU there is zero to nothing for V6, it is considered solid,fat,expensive,executive engine so NO mods at all except universal ones.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Chas, when I aproached ASP first time last year and asked them for pulley for EU spec Passat (and you saw their site only Audi) with ALG engine code that they never heard of. They took 2 weeks pausa to check it. In meantime I was checking with VW and Audi dealers here and all of them confirmed me that it is same part as long as it is 6-ribbed.After 2 weeks ASP also told me that it will fit.
I bought from them also TSB G2 that in that time was advertised only for Audi, now they are advertising it also for B5 (maybe because of me :lol: ), anyhow you should call them and check it. For my V6 worked, it should be same with 1.8T. If you plan to extend puleys on P/S& Alternator (UR is making them,OE size) just check what type of Alternator you have, because VW is using basicly 2 types Valeo and Bosch and they have different design of pulley.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
There should be no difference at all between an Audi AEB engine and a VW AEB engine. None. Errrr, well maybe that plastic engine cover thing... But that's it! The pulley should work by all accounts. I am just wondering if the holes were badly drilled or mis aligned. This is why I am willing to take my front end off, yet again to see if this part actually does fit or if there is a major issue with it.

What was truely frustrating was that one of the other guys doing his Timing belt/tennsioner changer over also had a pulley to install. It was one of the ECS Underdrive pulleys. Man! What a difference there is between the two pulleys. Both wieght and size! That thing is dinky! :shock: Anyhow, I would love for this to be my fauly and that I'm not installing it correctly, becauseI really want this to fit and be on my car! :roll: I'll update you all in a week or so once I've done the work, again... :roll:

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you guys are going to organize a group buy then count me in... I am standing by for the word... Nenad has convinced me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
still haven't heard back from them. I am working nights and sleeping days until the 5th of March. If no reply has came from ASP, I will give them a call. I am really interested in this pulley also, and feel this would make a great group buy. With all the V6'ers asking for mod's, I don't see why anyone wouldn't jump on this buy. I think $199 is already a great price for a claimed 12hp, but I'll still try for cheaper. Hope all turns out well :thumbup:

Also, once confirmed, I will have a new post placed in the Group Buy forum.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts