Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quick update - I am now getting voltage at 28 and I can read codes. Here is what I found - from a bit of research some of these may be fixed after the computer is reprogrammed. Hopefully I don't need to replace the transmission computer as well.

A/T

Engine

I do not have access to any of the fancy code readers and programmers unfortunately, and seeing as the original ECU was not even communicating with the car to begin with, I am doubtful I'd be able to read it with the XTOOL anyway. Seeing as I need this fixed by this weekend, I am getting it towed to the dealership to reprogram tomorrow morning. Before resorting to that, I called every mobile locksmith in my area and none were able to reprogram the ECU. I'll let you guys know what happens
That's unfortunate but hopefully they'll be able to get it working you you and no other further issues.

I was fortunate today, installed the new fuel pump and is running perfectly again, until the next problem eventually presents itself.

Hopefully you're up and running before the weekend.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
All right! Despite their lack of confidence, the dealership was able to reprogram the ECU. I'm a bit peeved they charged me for 2 hours of labor, but whatever. Everything seems to run fine. I am only getting two codes now:

16501/P0117 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62): Signal too Low.

18014/P1606/005638 - Rough Road/Engine Torque Signal from ABS: Electrical Malfunction

I will double check I reconnected the ABS properly tomorrow as that's the only thing I can think of right now for the second code. However, I did have an ABS light and parking brake light on constantly for about a year and a half, and I have never noticed any problems there. Maybe just a bad sensor that I will get to later.

I drove for about half an hour with no noticeable issues. I kept an eye on the engine temp and it seemed to be behaving properly. I'm thinking it will be able to at least make the 5 hour drive for the move and till I have more time to focus on changing my timing belt, water pump, etc. as well.

Thank you all so much for your help. I have learned a ton from this experience and all of your guidance. The Gentleman still runs!!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
^+1 on the 16501. It's a pretty common failure mode on these cars so be sure to buy a proper VW part if/when you replace the G62 sensor.

For the ABS fault, check the sensors in the steering knuckes, check the holes in the tone ring that is pressed onto the axle (they can get crammed full of crud) and check the wires from the ABS sensors as they are a bit exposed. I assume this isn't a new code since you said the ABS light has been on before. If it just started when you disconnected the ABS then certainly I'd start there.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts