Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on coming back to the family with a 02 GLX with 41k on it. In service date was 03/2002 which means its out of factory warranty. I plan on buying an extended warranty through VW which they told me was not with VW but an outsourced company. Is the extended warranty any different then buying a certified pre owned car directly from VW? Did anyone buy a extended warranty through VW. How much should I pay. Thanks guys.:confused:

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
On a V6?
I'm not sure i'd bother unless it is quite cheap. I can't see reason that it would be likely that you'd have over 2k of non-matence work needed between now an 100k assuming you take good care of it. There can be uncommon catistrophic issues, as on any engine, but I'd say teh chance is rare.
There is a great thread on extended warranties for w8's that would be very applicable in finding a company though

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
cpo has a ~116 point inspection, and also guarantees that all maintenance has been done. personally, i'd go CPO if possible. i bought my b5 CPO and it was still like 3-4k below kbb or edmunds, so yeah, if you can find one cheap, then it's worth it.

btw, cpo warranty isn't administered by vw either.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Yeah it probably won't need anything besides brake pads and change the fluids but its a VW and we all know when these cars act funny, they are a pain in the ass. How do I find the W8 post on extended warranties. I figure its under b5
thanks

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
well, it's a gamble. but my cpo warranty paid off. my abs module started leaking and was replaced under cpo. if i wasn't under warranty, then it'd be over a grand just for that. i also had some airbag spring replaced which probably would've been a few hundred.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the reply. But if I buy the extended warranty from VW, wouldn't all that be covered the same way?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Cpo warranties tend to be very similar to manufacturers warranty in terms of terms
Extended warranties can vary. You want to read it to see whats inculded and whats excluded. For example, some extended warranties wonb't cover damage caused bya timing belt failure, just fixing the TB itself (which is like 1/5 or less of the cost)

·
Registered
82 Posts
My CPO worked for me cause the dealership i got it from forged the papers saying the car was workin fine. 1 month later i had to have a part of the tranny replaced and the turbo.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
thanks for the reply. But if I buy the extended warranty from VW, wouldn't all that be covered the same way?
not necessarily...if the issue is lack of maintnenance, then the extended warranty may not cover it. but CPO guarantees that all proper maintenance was done up to the POS.

this is especially important on the 1.8t (yes, i know you're getting a v6), because it guarantees that all oil changes where done correctly and on time up to the POS.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
list of what i have had cone CPO so far
new dash(was warped)
new climate control box behind the dash, the one with all the flaps that directs air to all the hoses.
new clutch, throwout bearing and slave cylinder(my throwout bearing cracked)
new cam adjusters and valve cover gaskets.
new temp sensor(being it is now $33.00)
and a couple other things.
CPO runs out feburary 07.
get a cpo!!!
wv's warrenty goes by the year and mileage.
call the finance manager at vw he will explain it.
it is cheaper to get it now than wait till whatever warrenty you have runs out.
as the car depreciates the warrenty you pick up gets more $$$

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Here's a link to what makes a car VW CPO...
http://autos.msn.com/home/cpoWarrantyDetails.aspx?mk=Volkswagen
I don't see any guarantee that all maintenance was done. Maybe its in the fine print somewhere else.

Before I bought my W8, I was looking at a CPO GLX. In negotiating with the salesman, he said they could "un-CPO" it and I'd save about $2K.
If that's what they're adding to the price, you could save $$ by buying your own extended warranty through The Auto Club, which is an excellent program ( and the one I bought for my W8) and skip the CPO route.

·
Registered
973 Posts
The VW exended warranty is insured by Fidelty/JM&A. They are a good company, but it doesn't cover wear and tear beyond 50k odometer miles. This is not in addition to when you purchase the vehicle, but actual mileage. Call Fidelity or read the contract carefully.

VW wanted $2k+ to sell me the contract, but when I saw no wear and tear beyond 50k miles I ended our talk.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
$2k+ for the cpo warranty ain't worth it. heck, if they would've sold me the car for $2k less w/o cpo, then i'd take it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
i dont beleive VWoA has extended warranties anymore,not sure because we had aVW CPO warranty on two out of the three vw,s we have now.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
iirc, vwoa only has the "original" manuf. warranty. all other warranties, including cpo and extended are offered through third parties.

·
Registered
471 Posts
So, what do you guys really recommend?
My factory's warranty runs out in May 07 (and it's 2003 1.8T GLS).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts