Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to just hook up the ground and both positives to a head unit that would have no purpose other then to function as a control for a propriety trunk mounted DSP (with the signal coming from the factory HU into the DSP) will it function? I understand I'll have to turn it on and off manually of course (it won't go off with the key in other words). I'm trying to avoid tapping the factory harness for this.

This is the old Japanese made Sony ES stuff, and I'm going to assume I can trick the DSP into thinking the signal from the RCA's is coming from the Sony HU, not the factory HU.

Paul...you out there? Jay?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
when you say signal coming from the factory HU into the DSP, are you only talking about a low-level input? what are the DSP requirements? what are you trying to do with the DSP?
if you hook up the ground and positives to the HU, it will work. the questions is, are you planning on disconnecting the speakers to attach the output to the DSP? or if you have a monsoon, are you planning on tapping into the harness that connects to the monsoon to get the signal(s)?

how do you plan on tricking the DSP that the signal is coming from the Sony H/U?

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when you say signal coming from the factory HU into the DSP, are you only talking about a low-level input? what are the DSP requirements? what are you trying to do with the DSP?
if you hook up the ground and positives to the HU, it will work. the questions is, are you planning on disconnecting the speakers to attach the output to the DSP? or if you have a monsoon, are you planning on tapping into the harness that connects to the monsoon to get the signal(s)?

how do you plan on tricking the DSP that the signal is coming from the Sony H/U?
Thanks Jay. It's actually my Audi Bose system. Which I've recently found out is virtually flat when you eliminate the amp. All the Bose tuning,crossover points, etc. is done in the amp, not the HU (tested by a few enthusiasts and shops all scientific like, not just an assumption).

Basically, I'm thinking I can have a low level input from tapping the preamp into the Bose amp. The XDP-210 will take digital and analog in. The CDX-7850 will be hooked up via unilink as if it was the normal set-up and give me full control of the EQ, digital x-over, and time correction. By leaving the DSP source on HU, I'm hoping the DSP will just assume the input it's getting via RCA is an analog input from the connected Sony HU, not the OEM deck which will be real source of the RCA input. In otherwords, as far as the DSP/HU combo goes, it's hooked up normally with the exception of where the low level input is coming from.

I currently have the car apart (you think Passats are tough to install in, this thing is a bitch) and should probably try to set it up tonight before I think about it too much!

Anyway, does that make sense? Do you see any faults in that line of thought? I know Paul used to work with the ES line a lot back in the 90's. Hopefully he will have some advice as well.

·
27,883 Posts
your assumptions seem sound. sounds to me like the audi Bose setup is similar to the monsoon, insomuch that the monsoon amp does the same thing - provides all the necessary filters for the crossovers, etc.
I had a Bose setup in my old Maxima - it was a bit different in that it had separate amps for each speaker pairing.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, pretty similar to the monsoon design.

The Audi Symphony HU's are actually the same, Bose or no Bose. They have a pin that needs to be grounded if it has the Bose amp in it. As far as I can tell even the speakers are the same. $1,000 option for that Bose EQ curve. Amazing.

I've never done an OEM to Aftermarket install. Would their be an advantage to picking up the pre-amp signal at the HU or since it's high level not an issue getting it at the trunk (which will be MUCH easier for me)?

Are all hi-lo converters pretty much the same? The DSP will convert it to digital then back to analog. Not sure if that matters or not.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Unless I'm having a brain fart the ES processor won't turn on without a signal from the HU that's passes along the Uni-Link cable.

·
27,883 Posts
aany idea what the required signal is, Paul? is it a one time, one-shot signal like a registration (each time you turn it on), or is it a periodic signal?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
I'm not sure. Sony was never too loose with their protocol information. You could try calling Sony but I'm not sure how far you'll get.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Unless I'm having a brain fart the ES processor won't turn on without a signal from the HU that's passes along the Uni-Link cable.
The unilink will be hooked up. The hu will be used as a controller for the DSP. Only thing that won't be hooked up are the RCA's from the Sony HU, those will be coming from the Audi HU.

I think I'm going to give it a shot. Nothing to lose but time huh? Next I'll be trying to use one of the digital inputs for a CarPC which I also found out I can control from the stock HU with this: http://indashpc.org/new/

·
27,883 Posts
The unilink will be hooked up. The hu will be used as a controller for the DSP. Only thing that won't be hooked up are the RCA's from the Sony HU, those will be coming from the Audi HU.

I think I'm going to give it a shot. Nothing to lose but time huh? Next I'll be trying to use one of the digital inputs for a CarPC which I also found out I can control from the stock HU with this: http://indashpc.org/new/
kewl! let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts

ooooohhhhh.......I see what you're going to do. It wouldn't be the piece I'd use for that but it *should* work since you don't have to go in optically.

For what you want to do I'd try to find a PPI DCX-730. It'll be a LOT easier.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ooooohhhhh.......I see what you're going to do. It wouldn't be the piece I'd use for that but it *should* work since you don't have to go in optically.

For what you want to do I'd try to find a PPI DCX-730. It'll be a LOT easier.
I'm using the 210 because I already have it. I actually want to get the Alpine PXA-701 in the future. I'll check out the PPI though. Looked a the new Rockford and Audiocontrol as well. The Alpine has a lot of flexibility and features which is why I'm leaning towards that.

Thanks

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
You mean the H701? It's nice. I'll let you play with mine. Damn that sounds dirty. Good thing Eva comes back in a week. The RF and AC pieces are TOTALLY different animals.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You mean the H701? It's nice. I'll let you play with mine. Damn that sounds dirty. Good thing Eva comes back in a week. The RF and AC pieces are TOTALLY different animals.
Damn dude, I didn't know you had a 701 now? In the Passat or Jetta? What's your opinion? Did this replace the Pioneer?

Audiocontrol doesn't have time correction so it's out. The Rockford piece is cool, but the Alpine 701 has a lot of advantages as you know. I don't think anything approaches it actually. Another advantage for me is the RUX controller will fit into my ashtray perfectly! So this set up will allow me to be 100% stealth, not screw up the looks of my dash (Audi's have that funky size head unit remember). Now that I can even control a CarPC from the stock head unit, I really don't see any reason to ditch it.

The long term goal here is keeping the stock HU, running it into a 701, then three ways in the front, a properly tuned, aligned, and attenuated center channel, f'glass sub box, and the carputer. Then move on to the Nav+ eventually (and take the vid feed in from the PC). Still stealthy and stock, but should be a great system.

I've taken the last 5 months off, so my account is running lower then I like. One of the reasons I want to temporarily use my ES equipment if it will work. UNless you wanna buy the Impala Paul!

I might need to enlist you to help with some kickpanels too once I get the Alpine DSP. Just some 4", shouldn't be too hard. Seen people put 6" in there. Actually, I have two sets of CDT 6.5 HD's. Maybe I should try putting the 6's in there. What do you think? Running at higher freqs shouldn't need to much room behind them shoudl they?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Yeah, i have a W200 with an H701 and a DCX-730. Can we say full active front end, active ambience and passive rear fill??? I knew you could. Sexy sexy. Oh, and it kicks the snot out of the Pioneer setup...by a WIDE margin.

And don't tempt me with the Impala....I've wanted one sice they came out. But I'll give ya $500 cahs for it. ;)

6's in your kicks would be EASY.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, i have a W200 with an H701 and a DCX-730. Can we say full active front end, active ambience and passive rear fill??? I knew you could. Sexy sexy. Oh, and it kicks the snot out of the Pioneer setup...by a WIDE margin.

And don't tempt me with the Impala....I've wanted one sice they came out. But I'll give ya $500 cahs for it. ;)

6's in your kicks would be EASY.
You're going to run the 701 and PPI together to do that? What's "Active Ambience"? Sounds good! Are you doing a three way active for the front? Bad ass....I gotta hear this when you're done.

6's in the kicks is easy for Paul....not for me! Plus I need to keep the dead pedal. Car's for driving first, audio second. I need a good blend. That's why I think the fours would work with the 6.5s in the doors for midbass, all brought together with some heavy tuning in the Alpine. Might even try putting some rear speakers in for the midbass, but I think it may be an imaging nightmare if I don't get tuned perfect. Either way I'm looking forward to it. I regret doing nothing to the last Audi. Haven't had a system since the Passat.

Putting the car back together. No more time right now to mess with the stereo. At least I got the power wire ran (3 hours to get it through the firewall!) and a sub and amp in. Funny thing is that factory Bose "subwoofer" did virtually nothing. I ran it for a day without it, sound almost the same as with it installed. Good marketing those guys do. 95% of the bass is from the doors.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Active ambience is just accent tweeters run actively instead of through a passive crossover.

Yeah, the front "mid" output is going to run either high pass or full range (probably full range) to the 730 which will split the signal for the System 340. The front tweeter output from the 701 will feed the ambience tweets and the 701 rear output will go to the 240GTs in the back with the 701 output for the subs.
Wait, you want kicks in the Audi??? Nevermind. Keep the 6s in the doors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts