Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could your Passat B5 prevent you from getting the Corona virus?

May be not but you can save 15% on your car insurance by switching to Geico :p:D

____

OK now that I got your attention, I'm getting mysterious oil spill under the manifold. Have inspected and as a preventive measure replaced the oil cooler gasket but it has not made any difference. I am having a hard time to identify the source. Any creative idea as what else should I look at? Thanks and stay safe.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Sorry Emry, what engine? Assuming 1.8 could be; PCV "elbow" , oil filter housing gasket, dip stick holder(common)....along with 10,000 other possibilities considering it's a Passat. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Crank case breather hose would be my guess. If you look thru The manifold from the top just behind the dipstick you’ll see oil and probably a hole in that tube. My new one arrives on Tuesday so if you need I’ll get some pictures.

·
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Emry, what engine? Assuming 1.8 could be; PCV "elbow" , oil filter housing gasket, dip stick holder(common)....along with 10,000 other possibilities considering it's a Passat. ;)
Yes Chief you guessed it rite. It's an infamous 1.8T. I have recently changes the PCV elbow. The dip stick is also changed a couple of years ago and I made sure it sits tight on its place.

Oil filter housing gasket??? Now, that's new to me. Didn't even know it has a gasket. But I have also checked around the oil filter and its dry.

·
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crank case breather hose would be my guess. If you look thru The manifold from the top just behind the dipstick you’ll see oil and probably a hole in that tube. My new one arrives on Tuesday so if you need I’ll get some pictures.
It would be great is you can post a couple of pix. As of now I don't see any of the tubes in that area be wet with oil.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
Oil on the ground or just in that area of the engine bay?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Yes Chief you guessed it rite. It's an infamous 1.8T. I have recently changes the PCV elbow. The dip stick is also changed a couple of years ago and I made sure it sits tight on its place.

Oil filter housing gasket??? Now, that's new to me. Didn't even know it has a gasket. But I have also checked around the oil filter and its dry.
Yes it has a gasket, sorta funky looking,later this A.M. I was thinking about what else, an additional two thing come to mind, if it is on the"pressure" side of the housing, the turbo supply line and/or the oil pressure sending unit comes into play.....I would look at sending unit, they tend to leak, at least everyone I have seen on older Passats.

·
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it has a gasket, sorta funky looking,later this A.M. I was thinking about what else, an additional two thing come to mind, if it is on the"pressure" side of the housing, the turbo supply line and/or the oil pressure sending unit comes into play.....I would look at sending unit, they tend to leak, at least everyone I have seen on older Passats.
Today I checked that. The oil pressure sensor sits far away from where the oil spill is. The sensor itself was dry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts