Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, if anyone has followed my oil cooler story then this is kinda a continuation.

So my oil cooler failed and i failed on the replacement, not sure what i did wrong. When i failed, i drained the pepcock for like 5-10 minutes then closed it cause wasnt flowing, figured it was empty.

Pushed it down the street and it has been sitting for 2 weeks more or less, these past few days its gotten in the low 30s high 20s 28-31, the first night it did that i was out and couldnt cover my engine, but first thing jn the morning i checked the pepcock before it warmed up and water oil mixture flowed out unhindered. So i left the pepcock open all day, than at night closed it and put towels on top of the engine and closed they engine bay

Should i really even be worried about a cracked block because if the cold, or should it be fine. My coolant oil mixture only had 1 flush under its belt and still had oil residue in the cooling system. Im guessing it never froze but idk. What do you guys think. What was jn there was straight water oil mixture, maybe some left over coolant and dish soap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Excuse some of the spelling and grammer issues, im at work and used my phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
where are you located? 'merica isn't very specific, and someone here might actually be near you to come look at your car...

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
It would have to be colder for a longer time to crack a block. I've seen seals pushed out down here, but never a cracked block. I have seen a couple while in NJ.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Oil in coolant can also mean a cracked head NOT block. The innards of the head can crack somewhere and you can get the mixture. I had a cracked head but had the opposite symptoms. I had coolant in the oil. I thought oil cooler originally since its about the only place oil/coolant come close to each other besides the head, replaced it and same issue. From my experience; the "dud part" is usually translation for "I don't know whats wrong so I'll replace the same part", yes it could be a bad replacement part but chances are there is some other issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts