Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
I just got the Eibach Pro System (springs and dampers) installed on my wagon. Less than $600 for everything shipped to my door, and about $200 for installation.

Handles like a dream.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Well, you could buy the SRS set-up in pieces.
Find out what just the srpings cost. Add some bilstien HDs from the GP (The shocks that come with teh SRS set-up), and it might come down a lot. Then get the sway bar later. The SRSVW isn't that expensive when you consider the sway bar and the fact that the springs are *gasp* actually heavier than stock (which no other aftermarket spring is). I'm sold on the SRS being the best. However, I think there might be a better way to go about it.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Interesting, i didn't know that.
I'd save up. Seriously, there was a huge discussion here about springs and the only spring that is of a heavier weight than stock is the shine.
You could look at stock springs and bilstien HDs.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
dunno if your interested but i have Eibach Pro-System Coilovers on my car that im thinking on selling. It doesnt drop as low as i want it too. But there adjustable to ride stock height or a lil bit lower than stock height. ill try and get you a link to what i can pull up.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Can someone please suggest a simple setup springs/shocks for better handling for my '98 1.8T sedan?

I would actually prefer not to lower the car or a minimal lowering, like 1/2 or 3/4" or so and don't care much if the ride is going to be on a stiff side.

Should I leave stock springs and just change the shocks or should I use 1be springs, or maybe H&R OE? I think there is also a number of 1be springs, which are better?

If the 1be or H&R OE is a better choice, which shocks would be better bilstein HD or bilstein sport? Is koni FSD any better than the bilsteins?
Love the 1BE suspension. Right price. I have the 1BE shocks, so can't comment on the Blistiens.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
1BE suspension components can be a little on the high side! Go with H&R OE Sports and Bilstein Sport shocks. Check vendors like MJMAutohaus and Shox.com for pricing!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Can someone please suggest a simple setup springs/shocks for better handling for my '98 1.8T sedan?

I would actually prefer not to lower the car or a minimal lowering, like 1/2 or 3/4" or so and don't care much if the ride is going to be on a stiff side.

You sound like the perfect candidate for an SRS suspension. I would take nm+'s advice and save up for it. Of course I'm speaking from personal experience with other suspensions vs. the SRS.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
swami: that's what i'd prefer - good enough ground clearance in case my nose deeps too much on nyc roads (i lost a tranny on my first car)

ecks: so far don't think i'd go for it, but thanks

scirocco78: well, passat isn't a sports car - it's only a FWD family sedan. so i'm trying to be reasonable about it and do only the mods that give best bang for the buck. SRS suspension imo for those guys that go really nuts about it like big turbos, light pulleys, big injectors, oil coolers, high flow exhausts and so on ending up spending about as much money as it'd cost to buy a decent enough performance car. I'd love to get it but I have to be reasonable :)
\I think the SRS is for someone who wants a good suspension.
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205178

·
Registered
895 Posts
My budget suspension build:
Koni Sport Springs, 35mm drop. from www.modbargains.com $159
Bilstien Sport Struts(Neuspeed adjustable perch) , used w/ 4K miles, used from the classifieds $125
KYB GR2 rear struts, new from Ebay $100

Total $384

Extras
OEM front strut bearings, new from Ebay $22
Front Sway bar links, forget where I got them $35

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
My budget suspension build:
Koni Sport Springs, 35mm drop. from www.modbargains.com $159
Bilstien Sport Struts(Neuspeed adjustable perch) , used w/ 4K miles, used from the classifieds $125
KYB GR2 rear struts, new from Ebay $100

Total $384

Extras
OEM front strut bearings, new from Ebay $22
Front Sway bar links, forget where I got them $35
STAY AWAY FROM KYB GR2 shocks if you install lowering springs. These shocks are infamous for failing around the 15K mile mark!

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
scirroco78: So Dick is finally actually selling his springs? Woo-Hoo! I was under the impression that you had off-the-shelf Bilstein HD's - are they, or are they the Shine custom-valved?

vladimsh: The cheapest way for you to get a semi-decent suspension is

1) Find the best shocks (i.e Bilstein HD or Koni) at the best price. But that's typically going to be about $150 per corner, or $600. Maybe if you shop around you could get the set for $500.

2) Spring choice: The SRS springs are the best IMO. But if they are too expensive, then I'd go with H&R OE Sport. Both the SRS and H&R OE will lower your car by 1/2" to 3/4". The 1BE would be a better choice than the H&R, but are probably more expensive. If not, then go 1BE. Springs shouldn't be more than $200 total.

So now you are up to $700-$800. But you can't really count the shocks as a luxury - the OEM shocks are gonna go soon, if they haven't gone already. You need good shocks for safety. Buying cheap shocks that wear out quick is a waste of money. So as far as "upgrade" goes, you're really only out the cost of springs. So you're only out $200.

3) After you've done shocks and springs - take off your front anti-roll bar. There - you've just created a perfectly neutral-handling car without having to spend money on a rear a/r bar! I can testify from personal track experience that H&R OE sport springs plus no a/r bars at all equals perfectly neutral handling. You'll get a teeny bit more body roll - but it will be far less than the stock suspension with a/r bars - and the cat-like reflexes of your new beast will make you forget about body roll.

$200. Not a bad cheap suspension upgrade. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts