Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gas is gas right? I mean as long as you use the correct min. octane cause i know my passat wants no less then 91 i believe correct me if im wrong. I drive a 2002 V6 5spd

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
if you really love your car then you will spend the extra 15 cents/gallon. but if you dont want to do that then i guess its good that you are at least using the right amt of octane

·
Registered
205 Posts
Uhh ... I don't see why Costco gas wouldn't be any good. Its discounted because its membership only not because they fill it with water or anything. I fill up there all the time, and don't have any problems.

BTW, the 15 cent/gallon extra you pay at Shell isn't for gas, its for talking, animated cars.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Why not get a real, name brand gas card? Now that $0.15 difference is now a $0.06 difference (3% rebate on $3/gallon). Personally, I'll take Chevron or Exxon/Mobil's guaranteed quality and additives for an extra $0.06.

I believe some gas cards are now doing promos with 5% rebates, so that negates your savings completely and those name-brand stations have a much better, more convenient infrastructure than Costco.

·
Lock and Load
4,040 Posts
b4bill said:
Uhh ... I don't see why Costco gas wouldn't be any good. Its discounted because its membership only not because they fill it with water or anything. I fill up there all the time, and don't have any problems.

BTW, the 15 cent/gallon extra you pay at Shell isn't for gas, its for talking, animated cars.
Agree :lol: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
ashman78 said:
Why not get a real, name brand gas card? Now that $0.15 difference is now a $0.06 difference (3% rebate on $3/gallon). Personally, I'll take Chevron or Exxon/Mobil's guaranteed quality and additives for an extra $0.06.

I believe some gas cards are now doing promos with 5% rebates, so that negates your savings completely and those name-brand stations have a much better, more convenient infrastructure than Costco.
If you have good credit get a Chase and Citi card that gives 5% off on gas, groceries, and drugstore purchases and 1% off on all other purchases.

·
Registered
10 Posts
with the price of gas at shell for 93 octane being 2.98 by me and the costco being 2.48 for gas probably coming from the same damn refinery anyway, you do the math

·
Registered
109 Posts
The difference is in the additive package. Chevron is widely regarded as having the best cleaning agents added, thus I will fill up at Chevron if it is < 10 cents per gallon more or so.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
rallison said:
The difference is in the additive package. Chevron is widely regarded as having the best cleaning agents added, thus I will fill up at Chevron if it is < 10 cents per gallon more or so.
What may surprise people is the Costco gas could be Chevron. I have been told by wholesalers that the major oil refiners sell branded and unbranded gas and it all comes from the same storage units. He says you'll see the big oil guys tank trucks, local branded trucks like Sheetz, etc and unbranded tank trucks get fuel from the same tanks. The only difference in the gas will be in the price you pay. You just don't know which brand the Costco gas is. It could be BP one day, Shell the next day and Chevron the next week.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Actually most gas in your particular area will be from the closest refinery no matter what station you purchase from. I am speaking of the base gasoline. This is the gasoline that meets minimum requirements directly from the refinery. This is the gas you buy at costco. It's the base minimum requirements gas. The gas you buy at shell/chevron/bp etc is the same base gas with the companies EXTRA additives. We can argue this fact all day, but that's how it works. Costco doesn't get the special formulation that shell or bp sells, that's reserved for their own stations only. The real argument then comes in to play questioning if these extra additives are worth the additional 10-30 cents a gallon? Of course some of that extra money goes to the marketing efforts as well, that's no secret. I think it's worth it to pay a little more myself, that way I use fuel system cleaner less often and never experience fuel deposits related issues. I also get about 5% better gas mileage with BP and Shell gas so for me it's either break even or in favor of name brand due to less issues long term.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
VWTreads said:
Actually most gas in your particular area will be from the closest refinery no matter what station you purchase from. I am speaking of the base gasoline. This is the gasoline that meets minimum requirements directly from the refinery. This is the gas you buy at costco. It's the base minimum requirements gas. The gas you buy at shell/chevron/bp etc is the same base gas with the companies EXTRA additives. We can argue this fact all day, but that's how it works. Costco doesn't get the special formulation that shell or bp sells, that's reserved for their own stations only. The real argument then comes in to play questioning if these extra additives are worth the additional 10-30 cents a gallon? Of course some of that extra money goes to the marketing efforts as well, that's no secret. I think it's worth it to pay a little more myself, that way I use fuel system cleaner less often and never experience fuel deposits related issues. I also get about 5% better gas mileage with BP and Shell gas so for me it's either break even or in favor of name brand due to less issues long term.
Read this article. This is how it works.
Unbranded dealers often buy "surplus" gasoline from jobbers, or middlemen, licensed by the major oil companies to sell their products. So an unbranded dealer could be selling the same gas sold by the major brands, that is, gasoline with the additives put in by the major oil companies to identify it as their brand.

Or a dealer can buy unbranded gasoline without the additives directly from refiners of companies such as St. Louis-based Apex Oil, which buys and re-sells gas.

·
Registered
828 Posts
VWTreads said:
Actually most gas in your particular area will be from the closest refinery no matter what station you purchase from. I am speaking of the base gasoline. This is the gasoline that meets minimum requirements directly from the refinery.
Precisely. Gasoline is a commodity. Period. And, over the years, those minimum requirements have risen to the point that most cars don't have any problems with base gasoline.

Depending on the brand (smaller brands may not add anything) the additive package IS different. Generally, you get more of those additives in mid-grade and premium gas, as well.

VWTreads said:
I use fuel system cleaner less often and never experience fuel deposits related issues.
Just a couple of tanks of the lesser brands more than makes up for a bottle of Techron. Which I pour in about 2 tanksful before changing the oil.

VWTreads said:
I also get about 5% better gas mileage with BP and Shell gas
Wow! If that were the case for everyone, you'd think bp and Shell would be shouting from the rooftops.

This kind of thing takes many controlled measurements over long periods of time. I've been keeping records of my vehicles, which I tend to maintain pretty well, for over 20 years. Well over half a million miles of data. On only 1 vehicle -- an '81 Audi 4000 -- was I able to say, after factoring in temps, load, and type of driving (yep, those were recorded, too), that one brand consistently provided better mileage than others. That difference wasn't even 1%.

My wife, who has the equivalent of a master's degree in statistics, tells me that, despite all the data, my "study" wasn't rigorous enough to pass an initial research review for her doctoral program.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Ive used Costco gas almost exclusively (we live less than 2 miles from one - it's a curse!) for over six years w/o incident. I run a bottle of Chevron Techron through every 3000 miles or so.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
VWTreads said:
I'm not trying to stir up trouble or anything of that nature. I just want to know where you got your information from about Costco gas? The reason being that a best friend of mine works for Costco corporate. Though he has never told me where they actually get their gas from, he swears by it. I know he knows where they get it from. He is also a European car freak. He has a brand new BMW. Before that he was a Vdub guy. He knows cars. He would not put in something that was harmful or even something that would not give him the performance of a "branded" gasoline. Before he worked for Costco, he would only use Chevron gas. I think that says something about the level of gas that Costco buys. I have some insight about Costco's buying practices, and I can say that they would not buy something that is crap. Some of you may think otherwise, but I know for sure since my friend is part of the team of buyers.:beer:

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
As soon I can find a Costco that's not in a suburban retail wasteland and the've got one on every corner, I might consider it. IMO, part of what you buy with brand-name gas is the infrastructure, as I mentioned before. Go with a general gas rebate card and get it wherever doesn't require extra driving :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2000v65speed said:
They have costco gas? What do you have to do buy a 55 gallon drum of it?
haha no they have a gas station in front of some costcos just like stop and shop

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
aliencds said:
this is almost as weird as when i heard some walmarts do car repairs :crazy:
Hehe...I don't know of any Walmarts that DON'T do car repairs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts