Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '02 has been slow to crank lately, especially with the recent cold (by L.A. standards) winter weather, so I figured it would be a good time to replace my original, six-year-old battery before it leaves me stranded.

I've heard good things about Costco's Kirkland batteries, and I was wondering if anyone had the part number for it. Or is there only one "group 48" battery that will do the trick?

Also, with the Costco battery, I'll need to get a Lynx bracket and have the mechanic make some modifications with the venting tubes? Are there more plug-and-play batteries?

Either way, I've heard that most replacement batteries are even better than the original (300CCA?), and considering my good experience with VW's, I'm thinking this new one should last a while...

Thanks,

Michael

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
to my knowledge the cca in our batteries is somewhere up and around 750 CCA or more. when i had a check done, i'd swear that's what the tester read off as my available reserve level status.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I was just at 2 different costcos, and both dont have the group 48 battery.

Why do you need a lynxx adapter for it?
Does anyone have the costco part number of the 48, maybe they can order it

I bought the group 41 battery which is the same size as stock, only doesnt have that edge on the sides that makes the battery fit better in the holder. Its rated for 800CA, (650CCA) The original MOLL battery just says 650A on it.

The 41 is for the 1.9TDI so it should be pretty strong, as diesels require a strong battery to turn them over in the cold.

I am going to make custom clamp similar to OEM on the left side that will hold the 41 in place, since its almost the same dimesion it wont be hard.

OEM MOLL BATTERY WEIGHT 52LBS
KIRKLAND GROUP 41 WEIGHT 35LBS

the costco battery was much stronger than I ever remember the oem being, you could hear the starter rev up really fast and quick

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I got a Costco "group 48" battery yesterday. They had two in stock.

Anyone know if it fits without needing different clamps or modifications? I heard you can "flip" the clamp around and use that.

·
Registered
800 Posts

Anyone know if it fits without needing different clamps or modifications? I heard you can "flip" the clamp around and use that.

let me know if it fits in plug and play for you

is the positive terminal on the correct side?

2,551 Posts

Yup, I installed a goup 48 Costco battery back at the end of January when my battery gave up the ghost. '02 1.8t tip

I was able to flip the OEM clamp around and hook it onto the ledge that is on the battery. Since it is a smaller battery, flipping the clamp decreases the space in the battery bay.

Make sure your battery had the vent adapter pack to go with is as you will need it. Cut the hose down to size and be careful with your nozzle in the car as it may be brittle.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the local service station install it for me... everything is fine except for the vent hose. The new one just dangles from the side of the battery into the firewall area. Is this okay?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I had the local service station install it for me... everything is fine except for the vent hose. The new one just dangles from the side of the battery into the firewall area. Is this okay?
No, because if it spits up, it will drip acid into the firewall area. Run a hose off that into the drain under the battery.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, because if it spits up, it will drip acid into the firewall area. Run a hose off that into the drain under the battery.
Damn. Well I still have the original clear-orange hose connected to the original battery. I suppose I could shove that into the new vent hose, and then shove the other end back into the hole.

Is the vent hole on the right side of the battery, just below the two coolant hoses covered by a black sheath?

·
Registered
800 Posts
intertesting, the group 41 battery I got doesnt have such a vent hose. So I would assume it doesnt leak any at all like most maintenance free batteries, correct?

curious how u can flip stock adapter around to get it to fit the smaller battery, i dont understand how this is possible,

your talking about the adapter that you first remove on the left of the battery right?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Damn. Well I still have the original clear-orange hose connected to the original battery. I suppose I could shove that into the new vent hose, and then shove the other end back into the hole.

Is the vent hole on the right side of the battery, just below the two coolant hoses covered by a black sheath?

also if anyone has their receipt handy, can you please tell me the costco part number for it

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

it's underneath the battery tray. You'll have to remove the battery. While you're at it, on your '02, you should see if there's a rubber grommet in the hole, and if so, remove it. This is part of the water intrusion recall- the rubber grommet makes the effective size of the drain hole smaller, which makes leaves plug up that area more readily.

2,551 Posts
curious how u can flip stock adapter around to get it to fit the smaller battery, i dont understand how this is possible,

your talking about the adapter that you first remove on the left of the battery right?
Yes the hold down clamp. In the original hole the clamp is further out from the battery. Using the hole on the other end, you end up rotating the clamp around, and as it's a different shape on the other side, it actually gets closer to the battery and cuts down on the space for the unit.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
The battery is going to be a group 48, and you will need a battery hold down clamp (a bottom clamp) that is in the carded "Lynx" battery accessories section at Autozone or Pep Boys.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it's underneath the battery tray. You'll have to remove the battery. While you're at it, on your '02, you should see if there's a rubber grommet in the hole, and if so, remove it. This is part of the water intrusion recall- the rubber grommet makes the effective size of the drain hole smaller, which makes leaves plug up that area more readily.
Thanks. It seems like only the left side of the battery was bolted down, meaning I can lift up the battery on the right (driver's) side. I wonder if I can insert the tube through the hole while doing that.

About the recall - yes, I've had it done, 'cause the letter from VW said it was absolutely "critical" for winter months. Based on what you've said about the rubber grommet, does that mean the battery was removed during the recall procedure? I noticed that a chunk of my cowl cover missing around the battery; I'm not sure when that happened. The service station mechanic further destroyed it - cracked it, actually - while yanking the battery out.

Edit: Also, re: the rubber grommet, so basically we have a choice between water leakage, or a plugged up drain hole leading to water leakage?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. It seems like only the left side of the battery was bolted down, meaning I can lift up the battery on the right (driver's) side. I wonder if I can insert the tube through the hole while doing that.

About the recall - yes, I've had it done, 'cause the letter from VW said it was absolutely "critical" for winter months. Based on what you've said about the rubber grommet, does that mean the battery was removed during the recall procedure? I noticed that a chunk of my cowl cover missing around the battery; I'm not sure when that happened. The service station mechanic further destroyed it - cracked it, actually - while yanking the battery out.

Edit: Also, re: the rubber grommet, so basically we have a choice between water leakage, or a plugged up drain hole leading to water leakage?
Anybody?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Yes, the battery must be removed to remove the grommet. I managed to crack a piece of my cowl as well when I removed my battery, as well.

The grommet doesn't really serve much of any function. I think it has an outlet for the battery vent hose. but effectively the grommet makes the hole smaller. You're better off with the larger hole so that the cowl drains better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts