Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
it's an I-4. and it all depends on what kind of maintenance is required. scheduled maintenance should be cheaper for the 4.

not sure about the major maintenance (timing belt, water pump, etc).

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Scheduled Maintenance ( Regular ) will be higher for the I-4 as the required synthetic oil is a lot more money.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
Jesstzn said:
Scheduled Maintenance ( Regular ) will be higher for the I-4 as the required synthetic oil is a lot more money.
Is the oil capacity in the six-cyl any different than the fabled "V4"? I know that synthetic is 3x as much as dino, but if you have to buy more each time, that at least offsets it a little bit.

What about the 40k mile servicing? More spark plugs to be bought! (Aren't the OE NGKs like $10 or something? That's an additional $20.)

Most places just charge a flat rate for services based on the number of engine cylinders. I can't come up with anything online, but I know that quick lubes and Sears Auto and even some dealers say "4 cyl oil change - $XX, 6 cyl oil change - $YY ..." and so on.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Your dealing with a qt ( litre ) or so per change and 2 changes more than eats the plug cost. You would go to jiffy? The only real difference in oil changes in the 2 is the volume of oil. You will also note I said regular maintenance .. = routine oil changes.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
I did notice that and that's why I asked. If I don't ask, I don't learn. And then I just look like a dumbass.

No one wants that, now do they?

·
Registered
27,600 Posts
The V6 is more expensive. 2 extra plugs,2 more liters of oil. (some people use syn on both) The timing belt change is more and it uses more fuel.

Not a huge difference. I would not worry about it (other than the MPG) when choosing between the 2 engines.

·
Registered
285 Posts
the V6 is a bit smoother than the 1.8t and runs a bit nicer at highway speeds. Even better for smoothness and a loafing engine is a TDI...turn about 2200 at 80mph. and the tdi will out accelerate either the 1.8 or the v6 when trying to pass on the highway.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The I-4 gets about 10-15% better fuel mileage than the V6. If you drive alot that can add up. Or go diesel for even better mileage. THe big difference is the V6 kinda loafs along, hardly ever fussed about it's business. So it's generally a little more reliable and durable. But really all (4) engines are quite good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts