Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I come to you all with my last wheel question of the season. I know it’s in the wrong forum but I’m looking for a quick response.

I need help in picking the proper tire size. The rims I’m going with are 17x7 38mm offset. Remember these are going on 17x7. Which one of these is the best choice? Something that doesn’t look too odd. The tire choices I have at hand are

215/45-17
215/50-17
225/45-17

Also – does anyone know on how far 38mm will stick out? Will 38mm look odd on a 99 B5?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you want the best match to the circumference of your existing tires, you need a 205/50-17.

I've got 225/40-18's on 18x8's. Depending on the look you want, 205's should line the sidewall of your tires up nicely with the wheels. 215's or 225's would probably make the tires stick out, a la Big Buick whitewall style.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html 225/45-17 would be a perfect match since stock is 195/65-15. Like Jdigga was saying I was worried about the bulge of the tire… but it looks pretty good in the above pic. Anyone else have pictures of this size on a 17?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I had 225/45 on my old s4 wheels. Did you decide what you want yet? You should have come out to the fender rolling gtg today, dropped that variant, and put some 19's on there :D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
205/50 would be the most proper size but there is no law that sais you cant go wider. If you wanna put the widest tire posible go with 225/45, wider then that I'de worry about the running over your sidewall in harder turns.

·
Registered
872 Posts
drive said:
According to http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html 225/45-17 would be a perfect match since stock is 195/65-15. Like Jdigga was saying I was worried about the bulge of the tire… but it looks pretty good in the above pic. Anyone else have pictures of this size on a 17?
I was using a different circumference calculator that's 2 decimal places accurate. I guess a .5% difference isn't a huge deal.

EDO's pic looks good; it bulges compared to mine but with a lo-pro sidewall you can't really tell. Good for a little extra curb rash protection too.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm…

Now I’m confused
225/45-17 and 205/50-17 are pretty much on the mark but what’s the difference. Is there a difference in how the ride will feel or steering will behave between these two sizes?

Or is the difference so minimal that I should just pick one… I really hate decisions like this involving my $$$ :weirdo:

·
Registered
134 Posts
205s will have lighter, quicker steering on a 7" rim, 225s will have a slightly smoother, heavier ride with a little more lateral roll. This can be compensated by the right tire choice and slightly higher tire pressure.

225 look cooler 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
17x7's?

I have 225-45-17 Yokohama 352's on Autostil 17x7's (very similar design to BBS) on my reflex silver 1998 V6. I reckon they look piss-elegant and they really sit nicely on the road as well, even on Aussie roads.

Recommended.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't do the 215/45/17's you will not be happy...rim hangs out!!! :thumbdow:

I made that mistake the first time...thinking they would fit the 7" rim better!

215/45/17's on 17x7's...

I think that it also depends a lot on the tire...some have better rim protectors than others.

BTW...here is the tire calculator that I use...pretty slick! http://www.eunos.com/tirecalc/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
AlexNYC
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing