Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this is only something I want to throw out there.

If someone either purchased the same exact car or atleast the same color (to look like the same car)...

or if you had modded your car a certain way to find out that someone copied the same look and feel that you went for in your own car, would you:

- Feel honored having been the first to have a certain look
- Jealous that someone copied the look you were going for
- Wouldn't care in the slightest
- or maybe something else...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this is somewhat to a personal feeling and what I've seen at shows for our smaller VW friends with Jettas and Golfs. I see atleast a few pairs of identical twins at some shows every year.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
I would feel honored if mine was the first to have a certain look.

I think we all take ideas from other cars we like, and with the limited options for Passats, you are bound to get duplicates.

Hell the my car's vision looked alot like Jdubs old B5 before I knew what it looked like.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
As long as my finished product was better than theirs, I wouldn't care.

It'd bother me a bit to know they did their version of my car better than I did, though, were that the case.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I think it is the greatest complement you can get. If someone copies you that means that they liked your car so much that they had to spend big money to get it to look like your car.

Although i think that if they would copy every inch, it would be dissapointing; especially if you live in the same area.

-merk20vt

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

After all, most bolt-ons are fully available to the public and who am I to say I'm the only one who can bolt those parts onto my car.

Now if someone is taking pictures of a custom body/install job so he can copy it.... that's another story.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
As I recall, Image Dynamics Passat spotted a copy of his sponsored vehicle that had exact same body graphics and sponsor stickers tacked on. :roll:

This was before he put the car back in the shop for some major reworking.

Good luck trying to copy it now. :p

-Gene

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
If you want to be different, sell the Passat & get a car that hard to get. 1970s American Muscle is something you prolly want to get. Or have you Passat resprayed in a different color. Think about it... the B5 & B5.5 is a pretty common car as it is. And if you're an enthusiast, theres only a handful of non-custom mods out there. I'll bet 90% of the people here have common/identical mods. Chances there is someone out there that has the same color, same mods as you and wasn't even trying to copy.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
I have to say that part of me would be honered but the other would be a bit upset in the fact that they're trying to be like me. This would most especially piss me off if the imatator had the car done and it looked like shit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
BoeserBlick
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing