Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001.5 1.8T , 75K miles, would not start today. no cranking, no nothing. Battery is only a year old, will try a new one tomorrow and see if that does it.

disconnected battery for 15 min. to try and reset computer, but still nothing. i have no display on the dash, only the odometer. and under the odo it read: def. Any thoughts?

after some searches here-->probably cold killed the batt.........temp sensor maybe as well?

Was running great before, no problems.

thanks,
Tony

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Try jumping it. If it is just your batter then it should start. If it doesn't look at your fuses. Specifically the "comfort" fuse. I shorted out a door light once and had very similar symptoms. Scared the sh*t out of me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did give the jump a go with no luck, i got the same symptoms. thanks for the tip on the fuses, that'll be the first thing i check tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Might be bad ignition switch. Did you check fuses with ohmeter? They can look good but be bad. You need to start troubleshooting. So when you turn the key to on (not start), you are saying that the battery icon on the dash does not come on? What is your battery voltage? Check if there is anything else not working normally with key in and with key out. like radio, power windows, wipers, lights, brake lights, turn signals, blower motor, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no i didn't check with an ohmeter. everthing else works, wipers, signals, windows, radio, and blower motor.

yeah, i don't get anything on the dash, the small reddish square part in the center where the battry light would be. I only get the odometer and right above it, the light for the ASR comes on when i turn the key. when i turn the key i can hear something in the center console kind of clicking a few times.

i just got a new battery, back it goes, that wasn't it.

the car just got detailed the day before, and the carpets were pretty damp, could that have done anything?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
well, I needed to get this car going so I got it to the dealer yesterday. They said they cannot find it yet because the dash cluster is bad. Their readings all stop at the cluster and they need to replace it to continue. the quote for the cluster-->$875. oh man. i really don't have time to tinker with it myself. would you all get it out of there and take it to and indy, or eat it and let them take care of it. I do need to get this back on the road asap.

what years have the same cluster as the 2001.5? I'd like to find a used one somewhere. thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got a call from the dealer. said the new dash cluster is two days out. I asked what the part number was, he said they couldn't tell me. I asked what other years are compatible with mine, he said it was against company policy. does anyone know the part number or what year range i could swap out a used one maybe? So i'm gonna pick it up, take it home and try a new cluster myself if I can find one. we found out we could use granny's car for a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts