Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When i was checking my vacuum lines i discovered coolant leak from pump area under timing belt cover.
I loose about 0.5L/ 100miles journey.
90k miles, belt changed at 66k and looks ok.
Is there easy way to change water pump only or should i get whole kit and replace belt as well.
Is it safe to drive my passat if i keep coolant topped up? it doesnt overheat, just comes up with STOP CHECK COOLANT message which dissapear if i top it up.

I watched lots of videos and my issue is i dont have garage to take front of to put car in service position. How much im looking for if i take it to garage? Can anybody reccomand decent pump (or pump+belt kit) from ebay?

Thank you

·
Registered
27,861 Posts
With only 24K on the pump, I would just change the pump. It is questionable to drive as the coolant has gotten into the bearing, past the inner seal and it will eventually ruin the bearing, causing anything from a severe wobble and leak up to a seized pump (I've seen both happen). If it seizes, the valves will hit the pistons as the belt burns up.

You don't need a garage, it can be done in a driveway, but I have not touched a TDI. I would go with the standard GEBA pump. A shop would likely charge the same cost as a full timing belt change, which in the US is $800-1000 for most places. A shop will not always allow a customer to purchase their own parts, so keep that in mind before ordering parts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found mobile mechanic near me who will change pump for me for £60+£20call out charge. Ordered whole kit DAYCO for £83 (belt tensioner and pump) i will keep the belt for future change.
Hopefully this mobile mechanic will let me help so i can watch how to put car in service position.
While front is off i can easily access vacuum solenoid valve beside vacuum tank as well.

Just not sure if i shouldn't change belt as well while in service position?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Just so you know, service position doesn't remove the front end of the car, it just pulls it forward about 8 - 12 inches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts