Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Coolant temperature/level warning light error

13K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  YetAnother20V 
#1 ·
Everytime that I turn my car on and the engine temperature is not at 190 degrees F, my coolant temperature/level warning light comes on and beeps at me three times. It is really annoying in the morning (it is so loud). :cry: As soon as the engine reaches 190 degrees it turns off. Why is it doing this?

#4 ·
I have this same problem and had the coolant temp sensor at the back of the engine replaced when my car was down with the ICM. I still have it going on.

Are there any other coolant sensors that could throw this warning light?

oh, 98, 1.8t AEB.

#5 ·
The one on the back of the engine makes the temp gauge jump when it goes out, but not turn on the temp light. I had it too in my 98 1.8t it is the sensor built in in the coolant tank. I fixed (been working for two months) when I drained the tank, cleaned it out, and beat on the sensor(just a little). If that doesnt work you will have to get a whole new tank due to the fact that the sensor is molded to the tank. Approx $40 for a new tank. But regardless of how you do it that is the sensor you are looking for.

HTH
OppJonez :D

#6 ·
fateshand said:
Everytime that I turn my car on and the engine temperature is not at 190 degrees F, my coolant temperature/level warning light comes on and beeps at me three times. It is really annoying in the morning (it is so loud). :cry: As soon as the engine reaches 190 degrees it turns off. Why is it doing this?
I had the same problem. You probably are leaking coolant (slow leak, like waterpump). Therefore, your coolant level is low. When your car warms up, your coolant level rises and level warning light goes out.

Tom

#7 ·
I also have a 98 and it does it all fall and winter. i've questioned the dealership and they acknowledge there's something wrong with the sensor. But there's no harm done if you don't fix it. So If you can deal with the three beeps when you start the car, don't worry about it.

Jim

#8 ·
Thanks guys for all of your post. I don't think that I have a leak. Would it be something visible that I could see on the street. I have not noticed anything but will keep an eye out. So I guess it might be the sensor that needs replacing. Thanks again for all of the posts.
Gavin

#9 ·
I had that (98,1.8T)..dealer has to replace the coolant tank close to the fire wall. He will charge you about $120..if you buy the parts and do it yourself is around $30-$40 in parts. The sensor is in the tank.thats y they have to replace the tank! and add some coolant fluid

#10 ·
Like mentioned in the posts above, there are 2 SENSORS:
One is the 'presence/absence of coolant' sensor built into the tank. Another is the temp sensor on the Engine.

I suggest you flush the coolant fluid and get a fresh batch in. If there are any floaters in the coolant tank they may be messing with the sensor (first one) in getting a correct reading. Of course as the engine runs the coolant is circulated and the floaters are displaced.

I had to replace the tank because there were heavy deposits on the walls of the tank and not to mention floaters in the coolant fliud itself. Try flushing before you replace the tank.

Edit: I can't spell this afternoon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.