Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I continue to have this problem: my coolant temp gauge(in dashboard) reads normal>>>then at any given time>>>>>it just dies!! goes to 0

i chabged out the sensor, and it worked good for a while, then it started to act up again...... i tried to wiggle the wired to it thinking the connectors had a bad contact, but no luck!! :mad:

im concerned since every time it reads 0 degrees the air supplemental pump(whatever its called) comes on, and i dont think that can be too good over a long period of time :roll:

i think maybe the relay may have a bad contact, or itself might be bad, but i need to locate it first. :suspicio:

ALfredo

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I don't know for certain because I haven't looked at a wiring diagram but I doubt there is a relay, per se, between the coolant temp sensor and the dash gauge. More like some electronics in the ECU.

If you don't see an obvious problem - like frayed wires or a bad connector - try changing the sensor again. I'd guess that your knew one suffered an early mortality.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i looked at the sensor, and there is only two (thin)metal clips, are they supposed to klip the entire sensor in? cause they dont look like they have a good grip on the sensor>>>although(the blue part, the connector), doesnt go in anymore. i tried pusing it in but no luck :mad:

and like i said it works, its just sometime it (temp gauge) will just die,

anyone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

ALfredo

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
When these sensors go bad they usually become intermittent. One second they read fine, the next the gauge drops to zero. Hit a bump or take a hard left turn and it starts working again. So what you describe is the typical symptom of a failed coolant temp sensors.

These sensors are really pretty weak. It isn't crazy to believe that the new sensor you installed failed after a few thermal cycles. Especially since you stated that it seemed to fix the problem for a while. For the $5 or $12 it will cost, try another sensor.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Are you sure you are using the right breed of the temp sensor. I think there are two breeds and lineage is also involved.

Something like the blue one replaced the black one. And for the rest it is the green one. Completely ignore the order of the colors in my post cause I am not really sure of that.

You probably know this, but I just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys, i'll give it a shot w/ another sensor(fingers crossed) :roll:

i'll check out the difffrent ones they sell at the dealer, as well as oreily's/autozone see what they look like

ALfredo

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The two different coolant temperature sensors are not interchangable; they have different electrical connectors. If you did get the wrong sensor last time there is no way you could have attached the electrical connector; even the pin size in the sensors is different.

The black sensor was replaced by the green one. If your original sensor was black or green then you need a new green sensor to replace it. It is the cheaper one (~$5)

The blue one is still blue. For some reason it is more expensive ($12 - $15)

Part numbers are:

Green Sensor - 059 919 501A
Blue Sensor - 078 919 501B

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.