Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently noticed some cracks on the coolant reservoir. I think the age is taking its toll on it (16+ years).
Is this something that I need to worry about in terms of exploding due to the heat? Or just some plastic glues on the cracks may protect it?

In case I have to replace it, I may go to pick up a used one from the junk yard rather than buying a Chinese one.

Has someone dealt with this?

DSC_0028.jpg

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Not likely to explode, but may begin to leak. Replacements are not that expensive; I've changed them on all my cars when they looked sketchy.

·
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you use OEM or Chinese after market? I also thought it would be wise to replace it. Why taking an unnecessary risk.

·
Registered
308 Posts
VW only. Even aftermarket OEM is crap. The hose connections won't seal properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
In my experience, I agree with KSEADUB! Only got two years out of one made by a well known manufacturer sold by a well known reputable parts house.

·
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The hose connections won't seal properly.
I think think that's the least concerning part. Some sealant can be used. But the container itself is more important.

Just ordered one from eBay for $16. The VW stealership price is too expensive.

·
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my experience, I agree with KSEADUB! Only got two years out of one made by a well known manufacturer sold by a well known reputable parts house.
My car is 16 years old. If I get two years out of an after market one I would be happy. At the car's age I don't see a cost justification to buy from the stealership.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Mine cracked and lost coolant. Replaced with Meyle. Been ok for the last two years. I agree. I had to use two clamps for the hose connectors.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
What to watch out for on the hose barb is a parting line, the ridge that's sometimes left from the molding process. I've always just taken a smooth flat file, or strip of sandpaper to smooth it down if there, takes a minute or so.

·
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What to watch out for on the hose barb is a parting line, the ridge that's sometimes left from the molding process. I've always just taken a smooth flat file, or strip of sandpaper to smooth it down if there, takes a minute or so.
I can clearly see the residu on the hose barb. Thus I will surely clean it before attaching it. Let's hope that the new one would last a few years. The car has just started its 17th year of service. I would be more than happy if I can drag her to 20 years.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'll throw in my $0.02 on Meyle tanks: They suck.
I bought one for my Scirocco a few years ago. It lasted precisely one season (~3,500 miles), before the entire top of it spiderweb cracked. Many in the Mk1/Mk2 communities have had similar results - I've even heard of some instances of those tanks blowing their tops clean off. :icon_eek:

Maybe their B5 tanks are better, I don't know. But, if an OE VW tank can last 16 years.....

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Mine is showing the same types of cracking. From everything I have read the non dealer tanks are crap. I would not get one from a junkyard either. Unless you happen to find a dealer one.

·
Registered
12,062 Posts
"There's nothing that someone else can't make a little worse and a little cheaper." I've never had much luck with aftermarket parts on ANY VW. Coolant tank, motor mounts, coolant flange, thermostat... Just bite the bullet and use the genuine part. The tank isn't even stupid expensive, like the motor mounts are.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Only issue I've had was the hose barb breaking off from repeated tank removals with hose still attached. Got a junkyard one on now and it's running strong. BTW my broke while driving and spewed coolant all over. Luckily I had the spare in the trunk and Autozone had Pentosin a mile away. :icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
just replaced mine with a Meyle from ECS......first you "might" get glue to hold but I doubt it,believe it is in the polypropylene family used for super glue bottles,when a crack occurs it might be not seen, I only discovered mine in the back at min. level when removed to get to upper shock mount,and coolant just weeped out over time under pressure,take off clamp remove small tube and "tuck" away, release "big" clamp and slide toward tank (will not pass over tube while tube on tank) ,with it vertical wriggle of hose and catch remaining coolant in clean can,place clamp on new tank and slide over big tube,reassemble. Than add some 50/50 pentosin,should be good to 25 below. Low coolant will not adversely effect performance BUT you get a crack at bottom air could get into system,water pump cavitate,no coolantbto head ,hotspot,leaky head gasket. Once of prevention.

·
Administrator
23,301 Posts
3 years on my Meyle and it looks fine except just not white-ish anymore. I used an extra clamp on the lower hose. I didn't think about it at the time, but it's probably a leftover casting edge that wasn't smoothed down.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I just replaced mine in my '03 with a Hella from Rock Auto.... $15 bucks I believe, will see how it holds...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 53 Posts