Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I I noticed in my coolant reservoir that there is a grainy yellow-orange paste floating around. It is also attached to the bottom of the coolant cap. There are also signs of an oily sticky substance in the reservoir, though I do not believe it to be motor oil, as the car seems to be running fine. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
It's probably oil mixing with the coolant, and you probably should check the oil cooler first.

What car do you have, and how many miles?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2002 Passat GLX with 70,000 miles, I change the oil myself and noticed the problem about 500 miles after the last change. Oil level seems to be ok and there is no leaking from the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
2000 V6 here, noticed the same issue when I first test drove my ride. I had the dealer do a flush and fill and that seems to have helped since I bought the car. I am curious as to what caused this to happen though. When I opened the resevoir, I immediately noticed the substance build up on the resevoir cap. Evidence was in the resevior itself as well. Hope someone can tell us what causes this to happen. :crazy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Blue A
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing