Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've done 2 fill ups and flushes with distilled water, emptying at the lower radiator connection. Today I tried going to remove the bolt in the block to get whatever crud may be in there from the previous owner running the wrong coolant and though I could get my allen bit into the right side bolt without a problem, when I went to try and put it in the coolant plug bolt on the left it just wasn't going in. I thought it might be the angle but when I looked with a flashlight I discovered two things:

1. There was some white crud in the bolt preventing me from setting the 6mm allen bit socket in place, which I cleaned out as best as I could. Didn't help.

2. Upon closer inspection, the plug bolt didn't really look exactly like the bolt on the right, leading me to believe it may have been replaced at some point, now the question becomes why?

I'm a little nervous about proceeding with this, not knowing if somebody stripped it out at some point and I'm looking at some sort of mickey mouse repair. Maybe I'm better off leaving it alone.

Running the distilled water at operating temperature has been producing some weird black sediment looking stuff in the coolant expansion tank. Don't think the water is running quite clear yet when I drain it. Could I possibly just keep flushing with distilled water and draining until it's clear and avoid the draining at the block?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I assume this is a V6?

It would help if you could snap a photo of the bolt so we could see what you are talking about.

That said, how adventurous do you want to be with this? I ended up stripping out my drain plug and had to figure out how to work reverse threaded bits for the first time to get it out! It really wasn’t as big of a deal as i thought it was going to be. You can search for my repair thread and have a look-see to see what I am talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Could I possibly just keep flushing with distilled water and draining until it's clear and avoid the draining at the block?
^This is what I'd do, unless you have a garage to work on the car around mid-January when your car *may* loose all it's coolant during a "winter vortex" event (VW mechanical misfortunes never occur during opportune weather).

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
OP;

How are you flushing the coolant system ?
Are you just running the distilled water through the system or are you using a tool to pressurize the cooling system ?
As for the unknown plug, I would leave it alone unless it starts leaking.

Chuck

·
Registered
24 Posts
For what its worth, I felt like my plug was stripped when I removed it last week, but thats just how it was. The threads looked very good on both plug and block. I. Just make sure not to strip the allen bolt, use a hammer to ensure your socket is all the way into the plug.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts