Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my car this morning and it gave me a low coolant warning. i opened the hoood and low and be hold the coolant level was quite low. i checked under the car and there was a small pool of liquid that looked like hte orange/pink coolant that goes into the car.

any tips as to where i should start to look to diagnose the problem? it was driving fine yesterday and when I changed my oil back in November, the coolant was still full.

i have a 2000 V6.

on a side note, does anyone know of any shops in the Bay Area of California (around San Mateo) that they can recommend? I'd prefer not to goto the dealer and this is the first "big problem" that i've had with this car.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
954 Posts
There are a couple of things to check.

Have any of the hoses on the oil cooler side hit the belt?

Does it look like the coolant is pooled up behind the intake manifold or running down the back of your engine? I think I may have had to remove my plenum and throttle body before I was able to see the coolant pooled up.
A couple of weeks ago I had an O-ring fail that was on the hard coolant line that run under the intake manifold on the driver side of my 99 V6.

·
Registered
954 Posts
It could be the lower radiator hose. I think I have heard of them not being properly attached from the factory on the 1.8T, it might have happened on a V6 as well.

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
Pull the belly pan and look for dried coolant. It is a pink color and pretty easy to find.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did it, no luck. i put more coolant in and the resevoir was empty. 2 days and the level hasn't changed so i don't know what happened. there isn't a coolant pool in my garage either.

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
Look under the coolant tank for staining. They tend to crack with age and heat cycling. If everything underneath looks dry and the coolant level continues to drop, check your oil for coolant contamination. A bad oil cooler can push coolant into the oil although usually the opposite happens (oil in coolant). A head gasket is another (hopefully remote) possibility.

·
Registered
864 Posts
2.8lB5 said:
It could be the lower radiator hose. I think I have heard of them not being properly attached from the factory on the 1.8T, it might have happened on a V6 as well.
Had that problem before because I have to belly pan. WAs an easy fix. Check all your hoses as well. GOod luck man. Thank God coolant leaves stains...easy to find the leak

·
Registered
318 Posts
Check the coolant line right above the oil filter. I had a slow leak that would have become a big leak rather quickly if I hadn't replaced the VW "use one" hose clamp when I did. Look for mound of pink, flaky material around the end of the hose where it connects to the engine right above the filter.

HTH ;)

-K2

·
Registered
17 Posts
FWIW Mine also seems to loose Coolant over time (no mayonaise tho') - I think there may be a split in the Rad reserve tank (underneath toward the bulkhead).

·
Registered
954 Posts
Chris,

If it is mysteriously loosing coolant (no visible crust from a leak) you may want to get a new cap for the tank, or a new o-ring for the cap. Both accomplish the same thing, but my dealer did not stock the o-ring and the cap was a few dollars more.

There is now significantly less resistance when screwing the cap in, and coolant is no longer vanishing from my tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts