Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new Passat(4 weeks old), 1200 miles on it. The f'ing coolant light started flashing this morning on the way to work. The temp never got above the normal 200f, right in the middle of the gauge. But the light never went away. I haven't gotten a chance to check the level yet, but does this car burn coolant!? I find it somewhat ridiculous that I have issues with 1200 miles on the damn car. I haven't noticed any leaks, and I don't smell anything like coolant.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There isn't one, the only thing is the flashing symbol. I checked and indeed the coolant is below the minimum level, but there is still some in the tank. I guess I'll top it to max and see what happens.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
if you're low enough, then the light will flash. i thought that it would say "low coolant level" or something though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That gives me great hope for the car. Leaks with 1200 miles...do the wheels fall off at 10k? :thumbdown
sarcastic response:
Actually, yes... the wheels will fall off at 10k and if you are lucky enough to make it to 20k the car will just explode.... :rolleye:

common sense response:
Bring the coolant back up to normal levels and keep an eye on it. If it drops back down to the light again, take it in. If you don't like the car, trade it in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Strangely enough.....same exact thing happened to me this morning. Car is 4 months old with 2,500 miles on it. Light went on. I checked. The coolant was low. Makes me a bit nervous about overall quality of car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sarcastic response:
Actually, yes... the wheels will fall off at 10k and if you are lucky enough to make it to 20k the car will just explode.... :rolleye:

common sense response:
Bring the coolant back up to normal levels and keep an eye on it. If it drops back down to the light again, take it in. If you don't like the car, trade it in.
Trade it in with 1200 miles...I really doubt I'm going to get exactly what I paid back for it so...no. I love the car, I just want it to operate correctly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trade it in with 1200 miles...I really doubt I'm going to get exactly what I paid back for it so...no. I love the car, I just want it to operate correctly.
Pour some distilled water into the reservoir to get the level back up...the slight coolant loss is normal...no big deal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2006 2.0T also looses coolant, about 8 oz (from max to min line on reservoir) about every 1,000 miles. Can't see a leak from the top and haven't had a chance to go under and look around. Never had any car, including 2003 B5, that does this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Damn, I'm reading about all of this and it really makes me think twice about getting a used B6. I found a B6 with 18K for $17.5, 6spd, no options. But now I'm having second thoughts.
Currently I drive a 99 B5. Ever since buying it with bad control arms, all I did was change the control arms and timing belt.
16K miles afterwards the only money I spend on the car is for gas and oil change...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts