Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a passat with the 30V V6. This winter I've had my coolant level warning light come on numerous times in the morning due to a low coolant level. When up to operating temp. my level is just below the MIN line. I changed my oil last saturday, and for the life of me, could not find a leak. I didn't notice any water in my oil when I drained it, so I don't suspect anything as serious as head gaskets. Are there any areas that the V6's are none for developing coolant leaks? I've noticed an oily film on the black coolant tube that runs into the back of the passanger side cyl. head, but I think its just oil from something above it, as it doesn't appear to be crystalized like a coolant leak usually is. I plan on taking it to the dealer for repair as it should be under warranty yet, but was just wondering. They tryed telling me they couldn't find anything last time, but my coolant level is definately low now, so its gotta be going somewhere.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I am no pro especially not on the V6 (have a 1.8T drove a 01 GLX V6 though for a while back home). I hope my little knowledge can be of assistance.

That V6 back home developed a power steering fluid leak. It all stemmed from one single hose clamp gone bad. Give special attention to the clamps when inspecting for leaks. Maybe give a tug on them .. kick the tires per se.

This next idea doesn't seem to be your problem as you actually report losing fluid. Anyhow, the coolant sensors are known to go bad. It is an inexpensive, easy fix that can cause and hopefully solve many problems. There are three sensors used on our B5s. I believe they appeared in this order, with the problems plauging the earliest: black, green, and blue in color. Someone please correct me if I am wrong for I am interested in knowing the facts here. Again , I would say this is not your problem since you have actually noticed a lowering in your coolant level.

Did you check the coolant in the same situation as previous .. same incline, same temp, same measuring stick? Under what conditions does your light come on? Can you pull codes (WAGCOMit)?

Bottom line if it is under warranty they are responsible to get your car back on the road really.. it is good to ask though and figure it out for yourself. Good luck in your diagnosis :thumbup:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It usually occurs on very cold mornings (20 degrees or lower) and after the car has sat for more than 5 hours. I checked all radiator hoses under my car, but couldn't really see anything else other than that metal tube between the rear of the cyl. heads. I'm not sure what color my sensor is, but the light only comes on when my coolant is cold and the level is low, so no, I don't think its the sensor.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Liquids decrease in volume when cooled, so you might just be at the minimum level and need to top up a bit. Grab some G12+ at the dealer ($20 for a gallon) and add to between max and min. If the level drops again, you will start having to look for other sources of problems. I think you just need a bit of fluid in there. :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, its been a rather slow leak I think....but in my opinion, a coolant system is a basically a "sealed" system, right? There shouldn't be any leaks, therefore the coolant level shouldn't go down. If the level does go down, then there must be a leak somewhere. Maybe I'm just being to anal here, but I don't think I should have to keep adding coolant to my car that costs $20 a gallon to begin with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts