Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
That reservoir cap doesn't look fully seated, at least in the picture it doesn't. Make sure the cap "clicks or snaps" when tightening.

Inside the filler neck of the coolant reservoir there is either a metal or brass band. That band is what seals the O-ring on the reservoir cap. That band either gets pitted with rust (metal band) or corrodes (brass band), when that happens there's a good chance it will leak. Also check the condition of the reservoir itself. They are prone to hairline cracks from aging. Your's looks relatively newer though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The cap is new and it makes a click noise when i turning on, when i getting off it makes a "shhh" noise.
Tomorrow i will going to the shop and change the reservoir/cap fill it up with coolant.
But after that if its still leaking what can be the problem?
(My thought: May the headgasket fired out at the water line and may it does pressure what makes the leaking on the overflow/cap if im wrong tell me.)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hello!
So i got a 2004 VW Passat 1.9PD AVB 101HP car, got new termostat, reservoir cap.
The problem is the coolant is leaking on the overflow and on the cap.
I ordered a new reservoir and cap ill replace them, but do you got any ideas?
You got a new thermostat which make me wonder is you were having that leaking issue before or it just happened after the new thermostat. The fluid in the cooling system is under pressure, when there is a blockage of any kind the coolant will leak at the system designated point (the relief at the bottom of the reservoir) or at the weakest point which could be a hose, the nipple at the return line or the reservoir itself. Are you positive that the new thermostat is in the right way? it has happened many times that is has been put the wrong way not allowing the coolant to circulate properly, creating over pressure thus leaking and overheating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts