Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
What year is your car?

These are the (2) part numbers you should be using if your car is 2000 or newer.
8D0 819 371 BB
8D0 819 373 AF

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Wait, the other hose is like this. I have the wrong part... frig

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Mine is 2004 and it looks like I have the receiver hose, not the sender hose

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Can you start the thread sideways, push it all the way in and rotate it up? It should catch that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could but it would put a huge kink in the hose. I'll be better off replacing the other hose with this one that matches the receive side and actually buy the correct sender hose. It looks like the dealership is the only option

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I’m getting the correct one on Thursday

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
So I put coolant in the system... just a bit... no leak... put more in... all of that is now on the floor. ... #&@(^*! .... And me, being an optimist, I put the car together before testing the coolant connections with such a test... frig, that was dumb... I'm not positive, but I think I didn't quite get the quick connections on right from the heater core sender/receiver pair of hoses... that's a guess as it's my only question in my head as to whether they got on right... frig...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
So it was the heater core sender hose quick-connector on the hard pipe that was leaking. Funny that that hose is an actual NEW VW part and it leaks, but the sister receiver hose quick-connector aftermarket from Four Seasons does NOT leak... well I have silicon on it and really pulled it on hard after making sure it was seated properly. Here’s hoping. But I won’t put anything together until I can test with some water. If that works, then flush and G12.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wasn't it fun trying to get those SOBs back on? I, too, bought the wrong part # when I replaced mine. While I was in the neighborhood, I also replaced the throttle body hoses. Those also were a pain. The factory put the clamps on in the worst possible spot to gain access to.Looooong needle-nose saved me.
The next time I need to remove them, the clamps are looking me right in the eye.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Same here- replaced those as well... and PCV valve as that diaphram was split, and the bleeder valves from being pretty much stripped, and the temp sensor, and all 6 o-rings, but I’ve never seen a throttle body with coolant hoses... well, technically the parts are called heater hoses for the throttle body. But I thought cooler air would give better compression. So why have them at all on the throttle body? It’s just more complicated.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,471 Posts
Same here- replaced those as well... and PCV valve as that diaphragm was split, and the bleeder valves from being pretty much stripped, and the temp sensor, and all 6 o-rings, but I’ve never seen a throttle body with coolant hoses... well, technically the parts are called heater hoses for the throttle body. But I thought cooler air would give better compression. So why have them at all on the throttle body? It’s just more complicated.
To keep it from sticking in cold weather if the throttle plate is gummed up from carbon/oil vapor buildup. My old Mazda6 had heater hoses on its' TB, too.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
$%{}#^].... so the aftermarket one is leaking too. Were the o-ring sizes changed at some point? Why can’t I just buy parts that ~£{!%]*^ work? GD frustrating... And I knew I should have done the same thing (silicon) to the sender pipe but thought it was ok.. friggin waste of time. Aaaaaarrrrrhghhgg

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Sorry for the outburst... not helpful... I've tried to seat the quick-connection (QC) properly; twist a little to find the guides and then slip on - I can feel when the o-ring gets the connection, but it's not much of one. The connection completely depends on the o-ring sealing the gap on the sides of the pipe, rather than like the temp sensor that 'sits' on it. So here are two QC's that are brand new and I can't get them to work. So.. there must be something I'm doing wrong? The QC can't slide any further on the pipe. it's completely on and yet doesn't make a seal.. what could be wrong?

·
Registered
314 Posts
No need to apologize - sometimes these Passats test the patience of us all.

All I can suggest is to see if you can pull the QC back off when you think it is fully seated. If you can, the metal clip wasn't behind the flange "step".

If all else fails, take the hard pipe back off, install the hoses and re-install. I know, not what you want to do (or hear).

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Sorry for the outburst... not helpful... I've tried to seat the quick-connection (QC) properly; twist a little to find the guides and then slip on - I can feel when the o-ring gets the connection, but it's not much of one. The connection completely depends on the o-ring sealing the gap on the sides of the pipe, rather than like the temp sensor that 'sits' on it. So here are two QC's that are brand new and I can't get them to work. So.. there must be something I'm doing wrong? The QC can't slide any further on the pipe. it's completely on and yet doesn't make a seal.. what could be wrong?
That is a good observation and sometimes overlooked in the fact that many of the o-ring seals are "I.D."/ "O.D." functioning seals ,and some are "Front/Back" surface functioning.......

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
No need to apologize - sometimes these Passats test the patience of us all.

All I can suggest is to see if you can pull the QC back off when you think it is fully seated. If you can, the metal clip wasn't behind the flange "step".

If all else fails, take the hard pipe back off, install the hoses and re-install. I know, not what you want to do (or hear).
I was wondering about that possibility. And when the hard pipe is out and I put on the QCs of both hoses, put some water is to test their connection. My greatest fear is that it’s not even the QC’s but a failure in the flange or pipe welds themselves. But at least I’d know. One more thing to replace? We’ll see.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Both of those "O" rings rely on the ID/OD for their seal.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
interesting - check this out! You can choose which ID or OD you want and get all CS sizes - THEN choose which material you want to have it in! I will find the actual o-ring size and get an 'up-sized' one here:

81 - 98 of 98 Posts