Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,285 Posts
Before you put it back together, I'd do a little cleaning with a stiff brush and soapy water in case you need to investigate further later. That way, any new leaks will be readily apparent.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Before you put it back together, I'd do a little cleaning with a stiff brush and soapy water in case you need to investigate further later. That way, any new leaks will be readily apparent.
double 'like'

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
How do you get out the broken off plastic yellow knub bases that help place/seat the intake manifold onto the block? They are in the engine block and snapped off when removing the intake manifold. Any great tips?

·
Registered
27,226 Posts
I left the bases. I expect you can drill or tap with a punch/hammer and break them apart.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Assuming you are using the 50/50 coolant mix, you won’t get much steam leaking out. Try placing some paper-towel “diapers” around suspected leak locations to see if they pick up any pink coolant while running at NOP/NOT/NOL (Normal Operating Pressure, Temp, Level).

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Assuming you are using the 50/50 coolant mix, you won’t get much steam leaking out. Try placing some paper-towel “diapers” around suspected leak locations to see if they pick up any pink coolant while running at NOP/NOT/NOL (Normal Operating Pressure, Temp, Level).
I will! ... Once I get things back together on the weekend...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
HEY! How the $%^@#*& do I get that rear temp sensor out?? It rotates around in the hole, squeaks as it does so, but doesn't come out!!

Yes, I unplugged it and took the U-shaped clip off... But I'm really afraid that I'm gonna break this damn sensor by losing my shit trying to pull it out. There are no 'threads', right? There's no slot to turn it to so that I can pull it out, right?? WTF... how do you get this sensor out? [watch out... angry Canuk getting on the warpath...]

I even sprayed PB blaster at it...

I'm beginning to think some genius used gasket seal on an old o-ring they couldn't replace at time of service...

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,285 Posts
All I can say is to scrape around it with a pick to get out any leftover material they might have used to seal it with. Seriously, though. WTF?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I think the sensor is pooched. When it ‘turns’ the base doesn’t turn with it, so the wires are probably all stripped off. I’m pretty sure the plug wasn’t meant to spin around.. I’ll probably have to drill it out. I will have to buy a new one.

...so I just grabbed a vice grip and wailed on it to try to pry off the top to get at the base better and the whole thing came out easily. So it was strong enough to hold together to wrench out... so I wrecked it needlessly by turning it... (steam coming out of ears...)

·
Registered
27,226 Posts
It looks like an old sensor. I thought all of the new ones in the 15-20 years were green.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I believe you’re correct. It probably the original. Live and learn, but probably best to replace it now anyway. I just don’t understand why I couldn’t pull it out at first...but perhaps that’s why it was leaking? The O-ring looked squashed

·
Registered
27,226 Posts
The seals degrade due to high heat and it's right above the cat. At least the pipe is metal, the 1.8T used a plastic flange that leaked after several years.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Toys! It’s like Christmas in July! Yay

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Is it even possible to remove the water pipe under where the intake manifold sits without removing the driver’s side combi valve? It seems to be absolutely in the way. The top bolt flange of the drivers side water pipe hits the air pipe flange.

is it ok to push back enough to take out the passenger side tube that runs to the front and twist the whole unit on the drivers side pipe that is stationary and runs to the front on that side? Then the driver’s side flange will be out of the way of the driver’s side combi valve?

Did I explain that right to make sense?

here’s a pic:

see how the water pipe flange is tucked behind the combi valve?

so do I rotate the water pipe?

·
Registered
27,226 Posts
I think I removed them, but at least one person has done it without pulling them. Rotating it will probably work.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
delete

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
The coolant hard pipe in the back of the engine (from head to head) can be taken off without removal of the Kombi valves. It is a MAJOR pain though. I've done it but.. most everything else has got to go.
Intake manifold, obviously, engine wire attachment points (2) of them on the rear coolant hard pipe and that stainless 'y' pipe that connects to the Kombi valves and goes to the front of the engine. It also helps huge if you can get the throttle body removed and out of the way.
Just so you're aware, messing around with that rear coolant hard pipe, will surely require new O-rings on the smaller hard pipes that go to the front of the engine.
Those O-rings get rock hard, if disturbed they will leak.

edit-

Oh, and the clip on the passengers side that holds the power steering pressure hose to the coolant hard pipe, needs to removed and out of the way. It's best if you disconnect the fitting on top of the passengers side valve cover. That way you can swing it towards the back of the engine and out of the way.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Got it. Almost there...

how do I get the black (oil (??) what is that??) pipe out of the way that runs along the passenger side bank to the front pump?

it’s stopping me from twisting the water pipe up on that side:

see how it’s on top of the water pipe and in the way...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Nm - I just disconnected the joint towards the back.. seems like ATF fluid? Probably shouldn’t have done that but got impatient... However, I think I now know the real issue for the leak. The Heater core supply hose was looking very wet, was cracked at the joint, and just snapped off when trying to remove it; I was hoping to find something obvious like this:

·
Registered
27,226 Posts
Yeah, that's the p/s steering pressure line. I am pretty sure I unbolted it at the pump and then the 10mm bolt on the valve cover.
Audi sells heater hose repair clips. You can also get them in AL, but I have not tried them, but it is tempting.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts