Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 V6 auto. ATQ motor

Noticed coolant had dripped on the ground the other day after returning to the car about 8 hrs after getting to work. The following day no drips on the ground and nothing on the garage floor the next morning. This morning it was on the garage floor.

Facing the car it's wet on the passenger side of the trans pan coming from somewhere above. The alternator near the oil dipstick area is also wet. Took plastic covers off and don't see anything wet looking from the top of motor down.

Will be getting under it to have a look later today but any particular place to look?

Side note. Last year I replace the coolant hose under the Throttle body. Does not look like it's coming from that area.

Thank you

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Coolant temp sensor (in hard pipe) behind bank #1 would be my 1st (suspect) place to look.

Also check the condition of your heater inlet tubes. You've been around here long enough to know that those crack. That coolant dripping out from the rain tray cowl can migrate to some pretty strange places.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Coolant temp sensor (in hard pipe) behind bank #1 would be my 1st (suspect) place to look.
While the coolant near the Tranny would hit at the ECTS location if enough of it is leaking from the front (Thermostat housing, AUX pump coolant hoses, Lower radiator hose, and their connections) it could get pushed back when driving. I will say that I had coolant leaks from BOTH these places on my ATQ.

Also if you had gasket issues, camshaft seals, or power steering hose issues then the lower radiator hose and the hoses for/from the aux pump could be damaged. I just replaced all these two weeks ago.

Cleaning out the seat for the ECTS still didn't seal it all the way, even with a new o-ring, so I added a shim:
Replaced Coolant Temp. Sensor but still p0118?

lower radiator hose:

I thought my leak was DIY: V6 Coolant Pipe Seal Replacement., but it was not.

Facing the car it's wet on the passenger side of the trans pan coming from somewhere above. The alternator near the oil dipstick area is also wet. Took plastic covers off and don't see anything wet looking from the top of motor down.

The pic above is mine from post #30 of this thread, perhaps can help you as well:

Also check the condition of your heater inlet tubes. You've been around here long enough to know that those crack. That coolant dripping out from the rain tray cowl can migrate to some pretty strange places.
Found that this drips further back than he is describing.

·
Registered
26,616 Posts
If the alternator and side of the motor where the dipstick goes in is wet, it most likely the plastic thermostat housing or a hose attached to the end of it (radiator, after-run pump or oil cooler hoses).

·
Registered
4,560 Posts

2004 V6 auto. ATQ motor

The alternator near the oil dipstick area is also wet.
When I posted I never noticed this part of the description of the problem. I've been suspect of this in the past. Sometimes I miss key components of the issue at hand. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will talk a look at these areas today. Got busy running errands yesterday then too tired afterward. BTW. No drips on the garage floor this morning o_O

My HC pipe has been leaking since last year but have never had it leave a drip anywhere.

·
Registered
26,616 Posts
It's under the carpet :p

The hoses above the alternator are a pain to see and the alternator is a pain to remove. You can try using a mirror, but it might be easier to pull the serpentine belt for a bit more room. Oddly, the C5 4.2 S6 alternator drops right out the bottom, despite the similar platform and engine design.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may have to wait till the weekend to check those hoses. Time is not on my side this week with work. I don't have any coolant smell in the cabin so I hope the leak on the HC pipe has not stared to migrate into the cabin.

Strange though. There were no drips on the ground after work yesterday and nothing this morning on the garage floor. I am really hoping it was residual from it collecting in the battery area and simply made its way down to where it has dripped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts