Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new here and am not sure what all parts are called, so please bear with me. :confused:
I have a slow coolant leak and after removing the belly pan it looks like it is coming from the box pictured here. This box is located on the drivers side near the front bumper. I haven't been able to determine what part this is (even after an internet search and searching my Haynes manual). There are drips coming out of both connectors. Is it even possible for this to be where my coolant leak is coming from?

Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Car

Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exterior Bumper

Thank you!

This is a 2000 Passat with the 1.8L engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Looks like you have an AEB 1.8T (98 or 99 model). In the first photo on the far right edge, I can see your water pump & pulley. It's the only pulley with a V-belt; the others are driven by a serpentine belt.

VW's G12 pink or G13 purple coolant will form a whitish pink/purple crust if the leak is slow enough. Look for whitish residue on the lower edge of the water pump housing at the pulley shaft. If there's a pink or purple liquid drip, you're much closer than a couple months from changing your water pump.

Also, take a look at the back side of your engine next to the fire wall. There's a black plastic nozzle with a 4-wire sensor back there that may be leaking also, though I hope not...

·
Registered
29,164 Posts
That is the air duct for the intercooler. There is no coolant hose in that area. Look for a leak from near the upper or lower radiator hose that leaks in that direction. The hose may drip on the intercooler-throttle body hose and run down to the intercooler.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.