Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to flush the coolant on my 99 1.8T. I have a couple questions.

1) I've read that the coolant should be mixed 50/50 with distilled water. I have a Reverse Osmosis (RO) drinking water system at home. Can this water be used in place of distilled water?

2) Do most people replace the drain plug o-ring when doing a drain and refill? Is there only one o-ring? Or, do the block drain(s) have o-rings, too?

3) Is it important to 'flush' the system? Or is a drain and refill sufficient?

thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
Do you have 100k on your coolant already? Is it dirty or discolored? If the answer is no,wait until 100K.

The radiator drain is not a plug,it is a valve. Open the valve and let the coolant flow out. The block drain plug is on the bottom of the t-stat housing and has a metal seal. I did not change mine.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Your RO system removes minerals, and the result H2O is as good or better than distilled.

If you go as far as draining it, it is worthy of a flush to get the last bits of debris out.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
turtle said:
If you go as far as draining it, it is worthy of a flush to get the last bits of debris out.
My advice is similar, you don't need to 'drain' the system completely by pulling the plug on the bottom of the block. But you should plan on flushing the system with water at least twice from either the 'valve' or the 'plug'.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
sanderle said:
What are the disposal recommendations for the VW coolant?
Good question. I recently drained my coolant when I had to replace my oil cooler lines... I think that many cities have hazardous waste pickup if you call them. Most auto parts places don't take coolant. Perhaps you can find a friendly neighborhood radiator shop. :) BTW, I haven't disposed of mine either.

When I drained my coolant, i bought a small piece of hose to attach to the drain. The valve on my car is right in front of the intercooler, on the driver's side of the lower grill. Attach the hose to the drain and turn the valve. It's that easy. The Haynes manual has a nice writeup on how to do this.

BTW, distilled water can be bought at the grocery store for $1 a gallon.

-Mark

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Coolant can be recycled if such service is available in you local.
If you're not so fortunate, the second best place is the sink drain or toilet.
Sewage treatment plants or your septic tank can easily and effectively deal with the few gallons of coolant volume you are generating. {Commercial establishements, check with your sewer service} The microbiology that eats your wastes will also eat coolant.

BTW: I''m an environmental engineer, a pollution buster, and understand treatment process. I had also have consulted this same question with a Ph.D friend who knows far more than I on the subject of treating wastewaters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.