Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 44k miles and I think I'm past due for a coolant flush. Is it ok to have a Tires plus, Goodyear or Midas kind of place to do this or do I need to go to the stealership? Oh, what's a fair price?
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
i havent had mine done but the indy dealers bitch about the special coolant

its usally 40 bucks plus parts( in this case the coolant)

but i dont think you need it done till 100k miles ( its suposed to be life time coolant)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
That stuff is not cheap. It's called G-12 and costs $20-25 per gallon. I'm not sure of the capacity of this required, but I'm sure it is in your owner's manual.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Vertically Enabled said:
I'm at 44k miles and I think I'm past due for a coolant flush. Is it ok to have a Tires plus, Goodyear or Midas kind of place to do this or do I need to go to the stealership? Oh, what's a fair price?
Thanks so much.
Don't waste your money. Wait until 60-75K when you have to get your timing belt replaced. At this point, have the water pump and thermostat replaced too (saves labor costs)....of course, to change those, they have to change the coolant out.

At any rate, it's a “lifetime” coolant and doesn't need changed at all according to VW. Some Clubb5 members may disagree, but I think changing it out at intervals consistent with timing belt and water pump replacement is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
:thumbup: What he said---^

I just did my timing belt and lost a good bit changing the water pump. Be prepared to add a little at this point, or change it if you wish. Funky stuff.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I had mine done by the dealer for $100 at 60,000 miles. No proof if it helped or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
special coolant?

You gotta be kidding me. There is a special coolant just for the Passat? You mean I can't just use Prestone or other name brand anti-freeze?

I'll bet regular anti-freeze would work fine. Unless the engine is made of a rare metal that is new to the periodic table of elements- I can't see why regular anti-freeze wouldn't work.

Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I dont think you need to do it at 44 k. There is no reason unless you had a gasket leak or something that pushed oil in the coolant. I think VW recommendes coolant flush at 100k.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Re: special coolant?

stratovw said:
You gotta be kidding me. There is a special coolant just for the Passat? You mean I can't just use Prestone or other name brand anti-freeze?

I'll bet regular anti-freeze would work fine. Unless the engine is made of a rare metal that is new to the periodic table of elements- I can't see why regular anti-freeze wouldn't work.

NOOOOOO You cannot use regular coolant. It has to be the special red stuff. Don't mess around here...your engine is at stake.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: special coolant?

stratovw said:

Don't add "regular" antifreeze. It'll contaminate the pink stuff (G12) and then you'll be in trouble. Besides, the pink stuff is better anyway - lasts longer. I for one would rather do less flushing and pay a little more for the coolant. And no, it's not just for the Passat. Most German cars use it to my knowledge. Some on here have said it's the same thing used in big semis - thus the very long change interval.

I suppose if you wanted to convert it to a regular antifreeze like Prestone, you could, but you'd have to flush all of the G12 out first. But I really don't see any reason to do that. The G12 can easily be purchased on the internet or at the dealer. But no, you can't just walk into Pep Boys or Autozone to get it. I always keep a spare bottle around just in case I need it.

I guess the 100K flush is something new in the maintenance schedule - for my 2000, there was no mention of a flush at anytime.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm confused... i thought the v6's in the passat are dohc??? when did the sohc come in the b5???

crash893 said:
for the b5

capacitys

4 cy = 7.4 quarts
v6 sohc = 9.0 quarts
v6 dohc= 6.4 quarts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
pladwa said:
I'm confused... i thought the v6's in the passat are dohc??? when did the sohc come in the b5???

crash893 said:
for the b5

capacitys

4 cy = 7.4 quarts
v6 sohc = 9.0 quarts
v6 dohc= 6.4 quarts
I think your right but it has both sohc and dohc so i put them both up not to exclude any body

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks SO much for the input! Have a great weekend! :D

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
From what I've heard, G12 is essentially DexCool. It uses Propylene Glycol as opposed the Ethylene Glycol found in green/yellow anti-freeze.

DexCool is being used in many new cars today because it's supposedly more environmentally friendly and slightly less toxic (though Propylene Glycol will still kill you with the appropriate dose).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts