Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been drizzly and misty in the Northeast lately, and I notice how smooth and responsive my 1.8T is when the temp is about 60 degrees and when there is a misty rain.

Anybody else notice this? Is the temperature and humidity "just right" at these conditions?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
My 1.8T likes it around 50 and clear.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I can't remember exactly where, but somewhere here, I've seen somebody saying something about driving in the rain with a front mount intercooler next to other cars, and how much his/her car loved it. He was probably mentioning the same thing as you. Maybe it was one of the cars of the month, Im not sure, I'll look, but I honestly don't remember who or where. Also, if that's true, wouldn't moisture damage the engine?!? What's the whole purpose of a by pass valve than?!!? Anybody?!?! This tempts me to start a new topic. Feel free to do it if it so... :thumbup:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They used to make these water injection systems that would squirt a tiny bit of water down the carb upon accelleration to improve performance.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Firefly6 said:
It's been drizzly and misty in the Northeast lately, and I notice how smooth and responsive my 1.8T is when the temp is about 60 degrees and when there is a misty rain.

Anybody else notice this? Is the temperature and humidity "just right" at these conditions?
Yep. I thought it was just my perception. I guess it's cool and moist enough for the air to be dense, but not so cold that the ECU is dialing back on boost, and no so hot that heat soak is an issue. Yeah, this is one of the great times of the year for the 1.8T.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
vwpwr said:
I can't remember exactly where, but somewhere here, I've seen somebody saying something about driving in the rain with a front mount intercooler next to other cars, and how much his/her car loved it. He was probably mentioning the same thing as you. Maybe it was one of the cars of the month, Im not sure, I'll look, but I honestly don't remember who or where. Also, if that's true, wouldn't moisture damage the engine?!? What's the whole purpose of a by pass valve than?!!? Anybody?!?! This tempts me to start a new topic. Feel free to do it if it so... :thumbup:
i'm sure that water wouldn't hurt the intercooler. i saw someone put ice on his intercooler once 8)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yep... It sure feels like a different car running in 50-60 degree temps. Really a pleasure to drive in these conditions.

I hate when I finally get home...

Sam...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Spring and Fall are great. No heat, no A/C. Seems the engine is running most efficiently. Posted my best mileage yesterday in the Mid-Atlantic rain: 26 MPG in a W8. That is for about 115 miles at 66 MPH.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
natskiboy wrote:
whats 60F converted to Celsius?

That's between 15 and 16
no actualy its more like 8-9 degrees. and yeah its nice out but my Passat is parked :(

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
2.0GTI said:
natskiboy wrote:
whats 60F converted to Celsius?

That's between 15 and 16
no actualy its more like 8-9 degrees. and yeah its nice out but my Passat is parked :(
Thats what I thought, yeah the 1.8T shines in this outside temperature range.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
XedoS69
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing