Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my dilema.
The builders of my house decided to be stupid and have my exhaust vent for my hood to be 10 inches off center.
So, I can't get the original ventilation hood for my range due to not having the vent over the range. So no chimney style for me.

So we have to find one that is an under cabinet kind.
The one we picked will only allow 26 inches of height over the range. The one we currently own is at 27.5 inches.

Now the current one isn't a problem. However this new one will extend 6 more inches. So a total of 22 inches out from the wall (10 inches from cabinets). I am 6' 1". And the hood bottom goes to my nose. It doesn't stop me from viewing all my burners, but will it cause me to regret my decision if I go with 26".

Most hoods recommend 24 to 30 inches unless it is a professional hood with high CFM.

The alternative is going with a bland, normal looking hood and put it at 30 inches. Or spending over $1k and have vent moved. Keep in mind we are already over budget.

I went to a professional kitchen store. They had the same hood at 25". It didn't seem wrong or right. I don't know what to do.:banghead:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Before you go off trying to make the hood fit the house...

OCTICK said:
The builders of my house decided to be stupid and have my exhaust vent for my hood to be 10 inches off center.
Did you spec out the exhaust vent originally? If so, I'd say the builders screwed up and should pay to fix it.

Andy

·
8,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AJChenMPH said:
Before you go off trying to make the hood fit the house...

Did you spec out the exhaust vent originally? If so, I'd say the builders screwed up and should pay to fix it.

Andy
We bought the house used. However, there is 10 year warranty of defects.
I was thinking of going after the builders since it appears to be an error. But it is functional and probably within standards. My friend has the exact same house. And theirs is center over their range.

The contracter states the range height is within normal operating height and where they install them many times.

Basically, it isn't worth the effort. The company still owes me 2 things from the defect in the roof. Which reminds me, I have to send a threatening letter.

·
8,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
30 inches would be the maximum for the hood. And my wife is 5 foot.

AA are you saying we should get the unimaginative hood or have the vent moved and pay money.

·
8,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spanky McGee said:
OMG, i guess i'm the only one who miss read the title to the thread:

(Thought it started out with COCKS)
Who said it wasn't intended to trip people up? The more viewers, the more advice.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
We used a Broan Allure in Savannah. I couldn't justify some of the prices for the fancy hoods. I am not convinced that you are paying for anything special with the fancy ones unless you actually get high CFM. The Allure in SS looked very good (better than we expected) and performed exceptionally well. I think it was around $100.

I am very suspicious of the fancy hoods, too. The requirements for household use are not very high, and some of them have really crappy flow patterns as a result of their fancy shapes.

·
8,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
atomicalex said:
We used a Broan Allure in Savannah. I couldn't justify some of the prices for the fancy hoods. I am not convinced that you are paying for anything special with the fancy ones unless you actually get high CFM. The Allure in SS looked very good (better than we expected) and performed exceptionally well. I think it was around $100.

I am very suspicious of the fancy hoods, too. The requirements for household use are not very high, and some of them have really crappy flow patterns as a result of their fancy shapes.
I am spending so much money on the kitchen. I just want it to be right the first time out. Broan is the one we will have to go with at 30 inchs. Here is pictures.

26 inches with this Thermador

30 inches with this Broan

·
8,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AJChenMPH said:
Oh. I was under the impression that you were building the house. Sorry.
No....just fixing her up. All new kitchen.
New cabinets
New appliances
New butler pantry
New bar

Trying to invest.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hey Aaron. I'd like to ask. (Especially because I do most/alot of the cooking and because we currently have the cheap-o hood that came with the house so I never thought about hoods before...) If you buy the Thermador (or what ever the crappy one is that you described is...) does that NOT vent to the outside? I don't think our crappy one does. In fact, it seems that it just circulates smoke or whatever through some kind of cheap filters than back into the room. I generally don't make that many smoky things, so I hardly notice. Also, we mostly use the light when cooking. Are all cheap-o vents like that, and is that why you are considering it (i.e.- because you can't use the off-center vent?)

Anyway, I was thinking (as a cook,) that the clearance was for cooking purposes (i.e.-to get a stock pot easily onto/off the stove) but after reading this thread I guess the clearance is more for effective vent function, right?

OCTICK said:
No....just fixing her up. All new kitchen.
New cabinets
New appliances
New butler pantry
New bar

Trying to invest.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Clearance is for both. The more clearance, the harder it is to vent the area properly.

This is the Allure:

I liked that it sloped toward the rangetop, instead of out into the room on the front face. That hood kicked some serious butt.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Another option we did, is to get an oven where it has a motorized vent that comes from the back. Our KitchenAid's vent raises up at the touch of a button and then closes when you press it again. Very cool and it works well.

·
8,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
atomicalex said:
Clearance is for both. The more clearance, the harder it is to vent the area properly.

This is the Allure:

I liked that it sloped toward the rangetop, instead of out into the room on the front face. That hood kicked some serious butt.
AA,
Where the hell is this venting? Does this have stainless steel filter covers?
How high did you mount it if you recall?

Depending on your cooktop and CFM of hood, there is a required distance from the range. We have 15,000 BTU burners going in, so they can get pretty hot. The Thermador (the nice one) is required between 24 and 30 inches. The Broan is at almost any height up to 36 inches. And it is true the lower towards the 24 inch, the better it performs.

I don't normally cook really smokey stuff, but I do use oils which even though you can see do need to be sucked up. So recirculating might not be the best decision.

·
8,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
YetAnother20V said:
<off-topic> any of these actually vent the air out of the house? looking for one that does</off-topic>
All these vent outside if you are talking about venting what you are cooking.
Hoods aren't recommend to be used in bathrooms.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts