Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Convince me to trade in the Jetta for a Passat wagon, pics please !

This is what I have right now. Its a 95 GLX in mint shape. I really love the car and the VR6 is a ton of fun. The car is lowered and with a rear 28mm swa + 17's it handles incredibly well. However, after buying a Legacy wagon as my winter car I've been thinking of swapping both in favour of a Passat wagon.

However, I do like to drive a little spirited every now and again and I also auto-x from time to time, so I don't really want to give up any performance.

I know a wagon isn't exactly "performance city" but its been done before . Take a look at a Volvo 850 R or T5 and you'll see what I mean. I'm waiting to try out the W8 with 5sp to see how that goes , however it is a little pricy and kinda heavy. The alternative is to get a 1.8t wagon and drop in the K40 I so often hear about. I don't think there's much to do on a V6 that I know about so I'll pass on that motor.

A couple of questions :

1 ] What's it going to take to get a 1.8t wagon to pull low easy low 7's to high 6's 0-60 and 1/4 at consistently around 15.2 in the 1/4 ? About how much is this going to cost including parts to make it reliable ? I am not interested in nitrous.

I'm also not looking to drag the car but I'm throwing out the numbers to give an idea of the performance I'm looking for. Basically I'll be happy if the wagon can perform like my Jetta does.

2] How well can I expect a wagon to handle if I installed coilovers & sway bars ? Can a B5 wagon handle extremely well ? I'd also be swapping the rims up to at least 17's . Once again I would want something I can auto-x competively .

3] How well do Passats and their tranny/motors hold up to mods. I would probably want to stay south of 240hp to keep the motor in one piece.

4] Lastly, not a question but can you show me some nicely done up wagons so I can get an idea of what I could end up with ? I've done a few searches but I'm sure there's plenty of pics I'll never find.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Re: Convince me to trade in the Jetta for a Passat wagon, pics please ! (Me-262)

not sure I can help with most of your questions but here are the reasons I went Passat over a Jetta, Accord, or an Outback (which I lusted after for years before)

1. big, strong, lots of room in a sedan, the wagon is supposed to be enormous, some one posted IIRC that the variant has more cargo room than an explorer.

That said though you should probably be more realistic in your expectations. A variant isn't a Jetta, it's not even a sedan. it's heavier and designed less for speed than the sedan IMO. Sedans are several hundred pounds heavier than newer jettas, not sure what older ones weigh, the variant obviously weighs more than the sedan, I would assume.

2. My B5 sedan handles great just with new springs. from what I've heard coil overs and a sway bar or two add a lot of stability. While I don't auto X I've yet to find a corner I can't take faster than the guy in the lane next to me.

3. Haven't had a tranny problem with my car yet, at 75k chipped for about 35k knock on wood.

The 1.8T is incredibly mod'able, a chip pops the hp up a great deal , new turbos can be added etc etc etc.

Hope that helps some. I'd post pics but I'm a sedan :)

J.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Re: Convince me to trade in the Jetta for a Passat wagon, pics please ! (Me-262)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>
A couple of questions :

1 ] What's it going to take to get a 1.8t wagon to pull low easy low 7's to high 6's 0-60 and 1/4 at consistently around 15.2 in the 1/4 ? About how much is this going to cost including parts to make it reliable ? I am not interested in nitrous.

I'm also not looking to drag the car but I'm throwing out the numbers to give an idea of the performance I'm looking for. Basically I'll be happy if the wagon can perform like my Jetta does.

2] How well can I expect a wagon to handle if I installed coilovers & sway bars ? Can a B5 wagon handle extremely well ? I'd also be swapping the rims up to at least 17's . Once again I would want something I can auto-x competively .

3] How well do Passats and their tranny/motors hold up to mods. I would probably want to stay south of 240hp to keep the motor in one piece.

4] Lastly, not a question but can you show me some nicely done up wagons so I can get an idea of what I could end up with ? I've done a few searches but I'm sure there's plenty of pics I'll never find. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Upgrade to a KO4 with GIAC software then swap out the DP and the exhaust with a TT or Brullen exhaust. You should be set for the most part. To make the system run a bit more efficient prolly add a FMIC.

2. With just the coilovers, it'll certainly handle pretty well. Very solid and sturdy due to the chassis design and the added fact of the additional reinforcements from the wagon part. However, won't be as nimble as the Jetta.

3. These motors are pretty damn reliable for the amount of abuse it goes through from us. So long as its well maintained, and has conservative upgrades, it'll last for a long time.

4. This one belongs to Salty D...

This one belongs to Atobahn96...

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Re: Convince me to trade in the Jetta for a Passat wa ... (jwilker)

Me-262
SaltyD Variant is excellent example of what you will like to have.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Re: Convince me to trade in the Jetta for a Passat wa ... (Ricardo)

IMHO Salty's ride is a PERFECT example of what can be done with a Passat Wagon. Nice ride.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Re: Convince me to trade in the Jetta for a Passat wa ... (VW player)

I have a 1996 Jetta 2.0 which I still love that little car. Now my gf owns it, but I drive it once in a while. Now that I have my passat sedan I love it even more. Especially the power on the freeway. Its like I have a race car. I think if I were to do it again, I might have gotten a wagon. I love the look and all of the room inside. I say if you could use the extra room, like for babies, kids, sports like biking or surfing,etc.. get the wagon. I really think you would like it. You would be amazed how many guys around here have a modded wagon.

Kevin

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Re: Convince me to trade in the Jetta for a Passat wa ... (vwjedi)

Former A3 owner here. The Passat is much better built and more solid. I found that the old Golf just couldn't handle much tossing even with the Euro bottom end that it somehow acquired at the factory. While the Passat is much larger and therefore less tossable, it handles well and is very amenable to upgrades. Funny how we have put so much energy in to sporting up our grocery getters! But they take it well and every inch of lowering you can get is like getting a new car. A chip and new suspension will make you

The place to go for extreme variants is http://www.passat3b.de/. It is a european Passat club much like club
with some *creative* members. You will get quite an eyeful over there!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Re: Convince me to trade in the Jetta for a Passat wa ... (atomicalex)

Based on Car and Driver's tests with an Autoauthority chip on their long term 98 1.8T test car, you can probably get reliably under 7 seconds with just a chip alone. (I think they were at 6.6 seconds with their sedan - the wagon isn't that much heavier, and chips have advanced since then.) A stock 2001.5 1.8T sedan with the 170 hp engine does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds - you're not far off.

Like AtomicAlex mentioned, lowering the car gives it new life. However, wagons have fewer "mild" lowering options than sedans. Not too sure you can do coilovers though....

One thing though - while some members here have enjoyably autocrossed their cars, I wonder: if you want to be competitive at it, you might want to consider a $3000 second car (MR2, CRX, SE-R, etc.)

Tom

·
Registered
4,998 Posts

Seeing those beautiful variant's should make you run, not walk to your nearest VW dealer.

Clean Jetta though

·
Registered
838 Posts

Well, to get what you want is actually very simple!

One Chip upgrade will provide about 40 more HP in the 2001.5-2002's. This will give you the performance numbers your looking at.
Next you will need some kind of suspension if your going to auto-x with it. Although using the variant to auto-x is probably not the best vechicle to use. People have done it with the sedan though.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Re: Convince me to trade in the Jetta for a Passat wagon, pics please ! (Ture 7)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>A variant isn't a Jetta, it's not even a sedan. it's heavier and designed less for speed than the sedan IMO. Sedans are several hundred pounds heavier than newer jettas, not sure what older ones weigh, the variant obviously weighs more than the sedan, I would assume. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously, I would assume? Sir, you are contradicting yourself.

This Variant bashing has got to stop. First of all, it's only 80 lbs. heavier, and because of where the weight is, it helps handling. Second, It is designed for speed just as much as the sedan, why would you think that it is not? Third, you won't have to drill holes in your taillights for the brake light mod.

Really, the only reason they still have sedans is for those people who don't want other people to think they have kids. Or, maybe for those who think that having better looks is worth losing all that great cargo space. I don't know, I can't understand it...

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Re: Convince me to trade in the Jetta for a Passat ... (yellowltd)

Poor word choice. Shouldn't have included "obviously" The added weight may help handling, how does the higher center of gravity affect it?

I doubt it was designed with the same things in mind as the sedan, if so why build it? I would assume it was built with hauling things around in mind.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not at all bashing the variant. I like wagons. I think your reasons for why they keep the sedan are a bit silly. I don't need cargo room, why would I want it? If I need cargo room so badly I buy a truck ;-)

The variant is nice but I could say what you just did about the wagon. "only exists because people are confused about wanting power and style but don't want to just buy an SUV"

the Sedan bashing has got to stop.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Re: Convince me to trade in the Jetta for a Passat ... (jwilker)

I always thought sedans were for people with kids.

Lot more headroom in the back of the wagon.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
Re: Convince me to trade in the Jetta for a Passat ... (OakHillVariant)

well lets just say I have had a fully modified 2.0 jetta (featured in Euro Tuner Dec issue) It had a 6spd, H&R stage 3 coils(race aplication) 28hollow sway ect.....

I had a 01 B5 sedan in between

and now have a 02 wagon as seen above.

my wagon and sedan(on coilovers) handles 10 times better! Except for tight twsities where the size does mattter.....

my sedan ran a 15.3 with justa chip and cone intake.(haven't ran my wagon yet, but butt dyno tells me it would be about a 15.4)

best my jetta ran woulda been a 15.8

hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Convince me to trade in the Jetta for a Passat wagon, pics please !

This is what I have right now. Its a 95 GLX in mint shape. I really love the car and the VR6 is a ton of fun. The car is lowered and with a rear 28mm swa + 17's it handles incredibly well. However, after buying a Legacy wagon as my winter car I've been thinking of swapping both in favour of a Passat wagon.

However, I do like to drive a little spirited every now and again and I also auto-x from time to time, so I don't really want to give up any performance.

I know a wagon isn't exactly "performance city" but its been done before . Take a look at a Volvo 850 R or T5 and you'll see what I mean. I'm waiting to try out the W8 with 5sp to see how that goes , however it is a little pricy and kinda heavy. The alternative is to get a 1.8t wagon and drop in the K40 I so often hear about. I don't think there's much to do on a V6 that I know about so I'll pass on that motor.

A couple of questions :

4] Lastly, not a question but can you show me some nicely done up wagons so I can get an idea of what I could end up with ? I've done a few searches but I'm sure there's plenty of pics I'll never find.
I had an 08 passat waggy. Great looking car and really comfortable but don't buy that era vw unless you can afford to replace the fuel pumps, belts, timing, igniters, etc. VW knew of the engine related problems but did the traditional vw thing to address the issues-NOTHING!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts