Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 GLX is showing some strange driving characteristics that have me confused. I recently replaced the old and severly battered tie rod ends only to have another more intrusive issue surface.

In particular the front suspension upon rebound after hitting a bump seems to cause the steering wheel to come off center and pull to the right and in general I get way too much feedback - pulling left or right - when I go over bumps and undulations in the road. The front-end really acts squirrely (my technical description). The car tracks pretty straight otherwise and I had the alignment done immediately after I the tie rod replacement. The tires do not seem to show any odd wear patterns just yet.

I know control arms are an issue but along with that I'm wondering if there is anything else - sterring rack...etc.?

Does anybody have ANY thoughts on what I should look into? HELP!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does the steering wheel wiggle back and forth? Mine is and I am getting really weird tire wear despite having the tie rod ends and wheel bearings replaced. My left front tire is developing diagonal cupping, no one seems to know why.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Badly worn upper control arms can affect steering, which becomes a safety issue. You will also get clattering or clunking noises over sharp bumps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No clattering and clunking (that's what the tie rod ends were doing prior to replacement). The steering wheel does wiggle back and forth a bit when I hit bumps that are not sharp. If the bump is sharp the wiggle/squirrely feeling isn't nearly as pronounced.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
maybe your car is out of alingment causes bump steer. If your tie rods were replaced the car should have probably been realigned. PM sharky, he knows a lot about front end issues.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
not_too_shabby said:
maybe your car is out of alingment causes bump steer. If your tie rods were replaced the car should have probably been realigned. PM sharky, he knows a lot about front end issues.
Per his post hid did have an alignment done after replacing the tie rod ends.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
yeah, kind of glossed over that. Is still maybe an alignment issue. Quite a few places don't have a clue when it comes to aligning our cars.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think I have the same problem. The first thing I did, was look if the wheels had some play. They didn't. The dealer diagonsed the problem to a shox failing, intermittantly. He told me that it looks like the shock had not completetly failed but might have lost some gas. I wasn't so sure about this...but the dealer could not do the work anyway because he and my extended warranty compnay could not come to an agreement on the labor.

Here is what the Chilton's guide lists for possible causes of Excessive play or looseness in steering system:

1. Wheel bearings worn.
2. Tie-rod end loose or worn
3. Steering gear loose or worn
4. Worn or loose steering intermediate shaft.

Here is what they listed under Wander or poor steering stability.

1. Mismatched or uneven tires.
2. Defective balljoints or tie-rod ends
3. Wron shock absorber assemblies
4. Loose stabilizer bar
5. Broken or sagging springs
6. Wheels out of alignment

·
Registered
26,794 Posts
If it started after the installation of the tie rod ends,it might be the raised toe setting of the tie rod ends.
This would be an improper install problem on the new tie rod ends.
No one really messes with this at alignment time. A dealer might if it was pointed out to them.

If it was there prior to the install,you have worn/loose parts. My bet is on the raised toe problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
what about a shaky feeling in the gas pedal when pushing down on it. and also a shaky feeling when going down the road without the gas pedal pressed down. also a shaky feel in the steering wheel. control arm symptoms?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tell me more PZ!

Tell me more PZ.

I did the install but it is very possible I did something wrong - needless to say I'm not ASE certified. I'm not asking for a novel but can you explain what exactly I may have done wrong (draw me a picture) that would cause this. I attempted to install everything as it was prior to replacement.

I'll be honest, I have no immediate interest in taking it to a dealer to have them glance at it and charge me $90 and tell me that everything looks fine and they'll have to dig deeper and charge me multiple $90's and still not have fixed anything.

Thanks everybody for you insights!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts