Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Should have add a smilie, I was just giving you sh!t, the other guy posted only minutes before you.

Must not be the 2.0T motor that is bad, cause I see the jetta with the same motor did not come up on list. I would be interested in understanding the testing criteria.

·
Super Moderator
14,069 Posts
I would be interested in understanding the testing criteria.
Subscriber surveys. Stupid, non-car people who don't understand basic preventative maintenance and replacement of wear items.

·
Registered
436 Posts
This just in, the dealers are also terrible and resale values suck. I think its pretty general knowledge that a VW is unreliable when compared to a Lexus or Honda.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I found this further down the report....

http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/06/autos/top_preowned/index.htm

...In announcing Volkswagen as having the best program, James Bell, publisher of IntelliChoice.com, said that VW offers the best warranty. VW's warranty extends to two years or 24,000 miles beyond the original manufacturer's warranty. Volkswagen also has a strong enforcement program, Bell said, to make sure that dealers comply with the program's requirements in terms of vehicle condition, inspection and customer service.

Yeah right. VW ensures the dealers find every anal way to enforce the warranty. Sometimes the warranty enforcement reminds me of The Soup Nazi from Sienfeld ... :lol:

·
Super Moderator
14,069 Posts
Yeah right. VW ensures the dealers find every anal way to enforce the warranty. Sometimes the warranty enforcement reminds me of The Soup Nazi from Sienfeld ... :lol:

You TOTALLY misread what that article is talking about. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
well look at the least reliable cars...benzs jags ect those are expensive cars of course ppl who have them will bitch more if their car has a problem(even if its small) then a guy who buys a honda for 2 dollars and 38 cents

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
well look at the least reliable cars...benzs jags ect those are expensive cars of course ppl who have them will bitch more if their car has a problem(even if its small) then a guy who buys a honda for 2 dollars and 38 cents
Yup. I've told this story here before, but I'll tell it again.

In the 90's the Geo Prizm had a higher reliability rating then the Toyota Corolla. They were basically the same car built in the same plant. Why?

GM buyers were buying the Geo from their local Chevy store, while Toyota buyers were buying their second or third or fourth Japanese car and expected perfection. The get a weird noise and report it, while the GM buyers were just happy to have a new car that ran parked outside the trailer.

Now, I'm not saying VW's are reliable as the Japanese cars, but I don't think they're as bad as it appears. Most VW buyers expect it to be better for the money, and will complain or fill out a survey if they get one.

Though all my 1.8T's developed oil leaks before 40K, so maybe I should shut up. We won't even talk coil packs. ;)

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
How come they only seem to sample people with problems ? Between myself & my sister in the last 20 years:
85 GTI
86 Jetta Coupe
97 Jetta GLS
2001 Passat GLX
2003 Passat W8
2005 Jetta 2.5

Neither of us have ever received a JD Powers survey and with exception of the 85 GTI, all the above mentioned cars were/are fantastic. My sisters current '05 is 16 months old with over 30K on it and has done nothing but scheduled maintainance. Not a single problem otherwise which is MUUUUCCCH more than can be said of her 2001 Volvo C70 she had between Jettas.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
CR over-emphasizes reliability differences

After owning two Hondas, a Mazda and a Mistubishi for a total of 30 of the past 30 years, I took consumer reports reliability ratings into serious consideration before buying my used 04 Passat GLX V6 FWD Sedan this past February.

Following is my understanding of CR's reliability ratings, based on their April 2003 Auto Issue, page 90. This was the most recent of the April auto issues that actually gives percentages for the various ratings.

CR scores for each trouble spot and overall score "represent the percentage of survey respondents who reported problems occurring in the" previous 12 months "that were deemed serious because of cost, failure, compromised safety or downtime."
The best cars received a red check for "better than average overall reliability." A red check means that 5% or less of that cars surveyed owners had a serious problem in the previous 12 months.
Cars with "average overall reliability" recieved a black check. A black check means that 5% to 9.3% of that cars surveyed owners had a serious problem in the previous twelve months.
No check meant "worse than average overall reliability." No check means that 9.3% of that car's surveyed owners had a serious problem in the previous twelve months.

Hondas and Toyotas tended to get red checks. My car tends to get a black check for average reliability.
So when considering purchase of the Passat, my understanding was that 5% or less of the best Honda/Toyota cars had a serious problem, while 5% to 9.3% of Passat V6 owners had a serious problem. Or, spinning the numbers in reverse - 95% of Honda/Toyota owners reported NO serious problems in the previous twelve months, while between 90.7% and 95% of Passat owners also reported NO problems for the same time period. That is only an average difference of 4.3%, or just over 4 cars out of every 100, between the Honda/Toyota and the Passat. Based on this analysis, I decided that a 4.3% difference in reliability was not enough to dissuade me from purchasing the Passat, especially after I test drove a couple of 04 Accords.

I concluded that Consumer Reports has built it's business on highlighting the reliability differences between cars. In fact, because the percentages corresponding to the colors of the dots and checks were only reported in the 2003 issue, and not in the 12 other issues I've purchased since 1992, it may be possible to conclude that Consumer Reports is in fact exaggerating the reliability differences between cars. All the other CR annual auto issues just have red or black dots or checks, with no percentages attached. By omitting the percentages, it is easy for the Consumer Reports reader to assume the differences between best and the average and the worst cars are much greater than they actually are.

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
Just remember, the article lists cars based on projected reliability based on previous models reliability. The coil pak recall will affect this for years.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Whatever they say. I've now logged 140,000 miles in 2 different VWs (both first model years...98 B5 and 06 GLI) and I've never been stranded anywhere at any time. Most I ever spent on a repair was $1200 to replace the water pump and the timing belt, which has to be done anyway.

It's not rocket science. Take your car in every 3-5k and you'll be gold. Unfortunately, that's not how Americans take care of their cars and it's part of the reason why sales of Japanese cars have skyrocketed.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Whatever they say. I've now logged 140,000 miles in 2 different VWs (both first model years...98 B5 and 06 GLI) and I've never been stranded anywhere at any time. Most I ever spent on a repair was $1200 to replace the water pump and the timing belt, which has to be done anyway.

It's not rocket science. Take your car in every 3-5k and you'll be gold. Unfortunately, that's not how Americans take care of their cars and it's part of the reason why sales of Japanese cars have skyrocketed.
You don't have the magic key...you're just lucky.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
It's part of the Consumer Reports mindset which appeals to most American consumers, cars are appliances that should operate without any special knowledge on the part of the consumer. Remember, these are the same consumers that can't program a VCR or a microwave, and who can't set up their own cable modem.

It would scare most buyers off to have the salesman say "Now this car uses premium gas, and you should always use synthetic oil" and all the other requirements of Passat ownership. Yet that stuff should be right up front and in your face, not buried in the manual somewhere.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Harvey Wallbanger:
It would scare most buyers off to have the salesman say "Now this car uses premium gas, and you should always use synthetic oil" and all the other requirements of Passat ownership

In fact, CR downrates the Passat for these very issues; apparently, the only cars that are satisfactory to the American consumer (in CR's judgement) are the set-it and forget-it brands, of which VW has never been one (thank God!).

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
IMHO, the 1.8T sludge issue, along with coil packs, control arms, and CCM electrical gremlins helped to push these cars down. Plus, just look at all of the people complaining each day on PW about water leaking into their cars. Then throw in how the dealer treats people and I'm amazed how any typical car buyer would stay with a VW.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts