Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont worry Thanasi Ill still be reppin the Kings and Giants :D

As some of you know Ive been working on music/songwriting career and I have made major contacts in the business that are encouraging me to move to LA to pursue it further. If I decide to move down, my guess is that it probably wont be for another 6 months or so.

Does anyone know a good place to work down there during the day? I have a degree in Econ and currently work at a bank up here in the bay. Id have to work to pay my bills and Im guessing Id have to be making around $15-16 /hr to pay bills and stuff.

Also a good area to live in thats affordable($800-$900/mo for 1 bdroom apt), but is within a 30 minute or less commute to Santa Monica? also close enough to the city life for parties and stuff.

How is Hollywood area?

TIA

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
you're essentially looking at a really small area if you want to be within 30 mins from Santa Monica, considering traffic is pretty bad around the 405 and 10 usually. It's either really expensive (Brentwood, Bel Air, Malibu, Bev Hills, West LA), or rather undesirable (Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks, Inglewood, Marina Del Rey, downtown LA). Hollywood and Koreatown seems to be either really ghetto or pretty expensive. I would prob think Culver City is your best bet.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy LA, it's just so more fun than NorCal imo.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I lived right on the border of Sherman Oaks and Van Nuys; it wasn't that bad although I think Sherman Oaks is a lot nicer than Van Nuys.

My rent was $833 at the time with ALL utilities included. But the complex was (and still is) poorly managed so I won't recommend it. Have a look through apartmentratings.com.

The nice thing about that location was easy access to both the 405 and the 101. If I wanted to go to Santa Monica or Venice I usually took the 101 to Topanga Canyon (twisties are fun too).

It's a lot easier to park up in the Valley than it is in LA (damn 15min meters), but like ronaldmcdonald said, the 405 is a headache most any time of the day or night.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I live in hollywood. Rent is expensive, very. We pay roughly 1600 for our 2 bedroom. I live right on sunset between Fairfax and La Brea, right across the guitar center. If your in the music buisness, this is probably the right neighborhood for you. As far as commute to santa monica, I used to go to SMC, and the commute was usually 45 minutes to an hour. Other thing about hollywood is parking, there is none. When I get home from work at night it takes me like 20 minutes just to find parking and I usually park far as f*ck. Also, hollywood is FULL of parking enforcement. Within the past 6 months I've got like 10 parking tickets. Ticket bitches are viciousl, they will ticket you for no front, expired tags, parking too far from the curb, basically anything they can, while parking enforcement in other places would ignore these kinda things.

The valley is cool, I got to College there now, hardly ever any traffic, and Just hop over Laurel Canyon or Coldwater and your back in the city. Only thing is that it get hot as hell in the valley.

If you need to be close to Santa Monica, I'de suggest looking for a place in Palms, Mar Vista, etc. Its cheap, right next to santa monica, but still not as ghetto as culver city.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
McDonald's :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
You should stay up here in the bay......it's sooooooooo much cooler hehehe :p and you don't have to deal with all that nasty traffic in LA. And we have better food hehehe but if you HAVE to go...just remember SF is better :lol:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
hell no, LA is food is better, way more authentic, diverse, generally cheaper, and easier to find parking. Unlike the SF/Bay area, at least the good restaurants are spread out, instead of having everything located in Berkely or the city. I will agree that SF has better high end/ritzy places if you're a baller, (kinda reminds me of NYC), but LA is generally more interesting imo.

Traffic in LA is not great, but it's really not much worse than SF and the bay area. If you don't have an 8-5 job, the 405 isn't really bad. I work 10-7:30, live in Sherman Oaks, and commute to Santa Monica in 30 mins. The 405 is hell from 4-6. Aviod that, and you'll be ok. I think the 101 (esp on the 134 and 10 interchange) is really bad, seems like it's congested all the time. Hey, at least in LA, you don't have to be dodging crackheads and homeless ppl most of the time.

In retrospect, I do think LA and SF are VERY diff cities. It's a completely different culture. A lot of ppl who love SF, don't like LA, and vice versa. I have seldom met anyone who has lived at and likes to live (not just visit) both places. You really have to decide for yourself which is more for you.

·
Registered
612 Posts
After living in LA for 2.5 years while going to USC I lived in 3 different apartments. First was a cheap apartment in the "ghettp" area of Pasadena... Getto in the sense that it was not as nice as upper class pasadena, but still safe. Rent there was $1200 for a 2 bed/ 2.5 2 floor condo. Then I moved to the "nice" area of pasadena and rent was $1600 for a 1 bedroom/ 1 bath luxury apt. Then I finally moved to LOS FELIZ. DUDE, CHECK OUT THIS AREA! It has a culture of sorts, local shopping, plenty of trees and grass (Griffith Park is right behind it) and rent is reasonable. I was paying $1400 for a 1000 SF apartment. It was sweet. Just drive down Los Feliz Blvd and you will see a bunch of "for rent" signs. I highly recommend this area. Its very central to everything LA. Burbank is north, Santa Monica is West, Pasadena is East and Downtown is South.

If you want to know more about Los Feliz area, just let me know.

-I moved back to the bay area a few months ago and couldn't be happier to be OUT OF LA! The traffic just gets to be TOO much after a while.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my guess is that i will have to go down to see what the best location would be, especially if i end up transfering with my work. i hate traffic and i think the bay area traffic is bad enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts