Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any comments on the following car would be appreciated:

1985 300ZX 133K Turbo 5-speed t-tops, needs new paint, but doesn't appear to have any rust. Runs real strong :lol: I am looking for a fun rear wheel drive car for the summer, not very mechanically inclined-but willing to learn. (Passat is the wife's primary car & I drive the Explorer mostly) Seller asking $2,100.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
I don't know about that MY but the last body 300ZX had an amazing engine!

Stock rods/cams/lifters/rockers/valves/top/bottom (read: stock engine) was running 19lbs of boost (389 Dyno-ed HP) with no problem for 60,000 miles till my buddy sold it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yea, I love the post 1990 300Zs. Everytime I see one now, I still think the car looks timeless. I think the twin-turbos models had 300hp stock. The non-turbo..222. For 1990...wow.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this MY is rated at 200HP stock, I think one of the previous owners did a little tuning

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
JokerUNM said:
.....I still think the car looks timeless....
Yes sir! I plan to own one sometime in the near future and make it a 400+ HP M3-EATING sleeper! All go with only the most subtile show!

·
Banned
708 Posts
my friend has one that puts 430 at the wheels, he has a chip, duel intakes, greddy intercoolers, and full exaust i think there more done but cant remember of the top of my head. anyways its definetly the fasest car ive ever been in

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Ahhhh, the 85's were the fastest Z's until Nissan did the Twin Turbo's in 1990. I've owned and raced quite a few Z's? I had a sweet 85 Turbo and a very fast 93 Twin Turbo.

On the 85's please check the electrical system, engine mounts and rusting in the rear of the car. Lift up the rear molding in the hatchback and check for rust, especially near the gastank. Also make sure a mechanic checks the compression in 1 and 6 because they tend to get sluggish over time. There's so much you can do with this car to make it a runner without going overboard.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i think its a fun car to have if youv'e got spare time to play with it :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Speeking of Zs, there's one white one that has been just sitting out here on the street. I think it was stolen. Has Tenesse plate. Leather interior (black) T tops.
Anybody know how to jimmy this thing :evil:

What a waste, it's just sitting out there since November.
FYI, it's in Harborside area of Jersey City. Second St in a cul de sac.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I decided the 300Z might have issues-so I put a deposit down on a very nice '83 944. Looks great and runs very nice. On Wednesday my friend will take a closer look and let me know if it is not going to drain the bank account. wish me luck.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
well I decided the 300Z might have issues-so I put a deposit down on a very nice '83 944.
Anyone else find that statement ironic? :p :poke:

Good luck!

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
02reflex1.8T said:
well I decided the 300Z might have issues-so I put a deposit down on a very nice '83 944.
:weirdo: :D

I'm sure you'll have fun with it. 944s are great cars. Getting hard to find ones that haven't been turned into racers.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Man, I hope you have a great mechanic if you plan on investing in an 83 944 Porsche. The car is a classic but if it's been asleep too long you will need to do some work. I have a sleeping 89 944 Turbo in the garage that needs loads of work. The car hasn't been driven in 2 years, and the body is in perfect condition. Remember when Daffy Duck was painting mustaches on everything?? " It will be my masterpiece!"..

Let me know if you need help with that Porsche..

·
Registered
195 Posts
I read a recent piece in I think Sports Car International magazine by a Porsche mechanic advising against the 944 due to its ultra high maintenance costs and difficulties in doing basic repairs and maintenance. So caveat emptor on one of these. How about another Z or something else, ie. MR2, even an RX7.
Good luck.

JC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
Jace
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing