Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my upper control arms a couple months ago and decided after much input from PW AWE and SRS to change the distance from the OEM 47mm setting to something more inline with my lowered suspension. While I couldn't get anyone besides Herman H to comitt to a number I decided to use 44mm. The problem was how to do this in a accurate manner than I guessed earlier. My car is low enough that this is no way one can tighten the bolts on the UCAs once the wheel is put back on. So I decided to make my own jig. Here is what I came up with. I used a piece of 16 ga steel screwed onto an aluminum right angle. Now I can adjust the distance for the UCAs and measure the length exactly. Not very professional looking but at least I can make very accurate adjustments.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not fair!!!!! We are having the worst winter up here in CNY. Maybe 1-3 inches tonight. Skiing sucks and my snow tires are getting worn by all these clear dry roads.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I haven't replaced my control arms yet and hope to lower at the same time when I do. So my plan is to make a jig that replaces the wheel. So the vehicle can sit at its actual ride height before tightening the bolt that holds the bushing on the upper control arm. So the jig would basically have to have a specific hieght of the wheels I am using and some holes for the wheel bolts. Fortunately I work at a machine shop so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Does what I am suggesting make sense? I suppose it could be done if anyone has a damaged alloy wheel sitting around (or steelie would work too I suppose) just cut off most of the wheel so you have access to the UCAs and shim it up to match the height of your wheel tire combination.
what do you guys think?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts