Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on the best way to connect a portable digital music player to the stereo? Not interested in the Phatbox since it is not portable. Seems I have two choices: either a cassette adaptor or an FM transmitter. How do you guys handle this? TIA!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trying to connect an iRiver iHP-120. Issue should be the same if it was a Rio Karma, an iPod, etc. The player will be the sound source, but I want to feed it through the stereo to use the car speakers. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Paradigm! Thanks for that! Very good stuff. :thumbup:

(and, uh, I realize now I should have posted this in Mobile Electronics. :oops: )

·
Registered
56 Posts
connecting a portable music player

Hi.
I just connected my iPod to my car's stereo system through the cd player that is in the cargo bay (variant with monsoon). Everything works fine but, I need aleast one cd in the charger to fool the system. I also need to find a nicer switch (selecting cd or iPod) to replace the one I installed in lieu of the sixth switch because in doesn't blend in well with the car overall apperance.
I'm very pleased with the result! I had tried cassette insert and iTrip (small fm transmitter) and it is by far the best set up. The hardest part of the job was routing the electrical cable through the car and finding a small "on-on" switch with six terminals.

here are some more links.
good luck!

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/auxinpconv.html

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/auxvw.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
For my Ipod i initially tried the iTrip but couldn't find an empty station in NYC. I'll try it this summer when i go to Maine and The Cape.

I have been using the ol' cassette thing. If you make sure you crank the iPod volume up to 75% the sound is fine....no hiss at all. Obviously a hardwire would be the best but i don't wanna deal with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my standard radio/cassette trapped my Ipod cassette in side when the mech. failed.

I replaced the radio with an ALPINE unit that had cd changer control.

on the head unit you just switch the cd changer to AUX.

There is a lead that connects to the cd changer input - head phone on Ipod.

a small hole was drilled to route lead to the small cubby shelf under radio.

as I have 1998 1.8t sport B5 the drinks holder pops out just under this to hold my Ipod.

it is simply fantastic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.