Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,456 Posts
The door control modules are integrated in to the window motors. Each one is a Comfort Canbus node and the Comfort Canbus pair of wires (org/grn & org/brn twisted pair) visits each one, and the CCM, cluster, etc. So a flaky Canbus node can certainly interfere with every node on the bus. Not a common failure, but it could happen. (I've troubleshot a number of industrial Canbus networks... mud does annoying things, hard to find.)

The window motors are pretty straightforward to change, just be sure you get the exact part number and color code. I presume the color code determines some internal coding, but it's apparently not field changeable.

As a test, you could unplug the offending door at the pillar or by the driver's foot, clear the codes, and see if any of the others come back. (You can leave the speakers plugged in; they have their own connector.)

· Registered
1,456 Posts
Notice that, even for the pretty simple rear doors, the window motor has an 18-pin connector.
All 4 wires from the window switch go to that connector.
All 6 wires from the door lock go to that connector.
Most importantly, the Canbus data pair lands there (org/brn & org/grn (or /lilac)).

This is a networked system. Canbus is the name of the communications network. When you, for instance, unlock the doors by pressing button on the driver's door, that button is only wired to the driver's door window module. It sees your button press and sends a "unlock" command to the other three window modules, as well as energizing the driver's lock motor with the right polarity. The other three window motors/door control modules do the same thing upon receipt of the command.

There is no lock/unlock wire crossing any door hinge. Likewise, no window control wires, no door status wires--pretty much just a couple power, ground, Canbus, and speakers. (Fuel door release and trunk release are exceptions, don't ask me why.)

The CCM receives the signals from the remotes and sends lock and unlock commands over Canbus in the same fashion. The instrument cluster likewise queries each door for the "open" status and displays door open statuses as appropriate (and activates the blasted beeper!).

The Canbus network chip (IC) and all the associated electronics are housed in the window motor, i.e. integrated.

So, you could have one window motor/door control module "taking down" the Canbus network, e.g. jabbering all the time. Thus, disconnecting the offending window motor/door control module from the Canbus should make everything else work ok.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.