Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I am pretty lost right now.
I have 2004 VW PASSAT Manual Trans. v6

I believe there is an issue with the CCM and even after I replaced it with another I got in the junkyard, it had the same codes...?
So here are all the DTCs I got:

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Chassis Type: 3B - VW Passat B5
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,19,35,36,37,46,55,56,57,58,76

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Controller: 3B0 907 551 DB
Component: 2.8L V6/5V G 0010
Coding: 07501
Shop #: WSC 00028
WVWRH63B04P009665 VWZ7Z0C7598993
No fault code found.
Readiness: 0110 1101

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 4B0 614 517 G
Component: ABS/ESP front 3428
Coding: 04255
No fault code found.

Address 08: Auto HVAC
Controller: 3B1 907 044 J
Component: CLIMATRONIC B5GP 0006
Coding: 17200
4 Faults Found:
00792 - A/C Pressure Switch (F129)
35-00 - -
00603 - Footwell/defroster Flap Positioning Motor (V85)
37-10 - Faulty - Intermittent
01271 - Positioning Motor for Temperature Flap (V68)
01274 - Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71)

Skipping Address 15-Airbags

Address 16: Steering wheel
Controller: 1J0 907 487 A
Component: Lenkradelektronik 0005
Coding: 00118
No fault code found.

Address 17: Instruments
Controller: 3B0 920 929 B
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V03
Coding: 15235
Shop #: WSC 00000
WVWRH63B04P009665 VWZ7Z0C7598993
3 Faults Found:
01336 - Data Bus for Comfort System
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
01330 - Central Control Module for Central Convenience (J393)
S
Address 19: CAN Gateway
Controller: 6N0 909 901
Component: Gateway K<->CAN 0001
Coding: 00006
8 Faults Found:
01330 - Central Control Module for Central Convenience (J393)
01320 - Control Module for Climatronic (J255)
01331 - Door Control Module: Driver Side (J386)
01332 - Door Control Module: Passenger Side (J387)
01333 - Door Control Module: Rear Left (J388)
49-00 - No Communications
01334 - Door Control Module: Rear Right (J398)

Address 36: Seat Mem. Drvr
Controller:

Sooo, what's going on is pretty typical of a bad CCM to my knowledge.... My locks (seems like just the passenger-front side) keep randomly unlocking and then occasionally locking all on their own. I looked at the wiring down below the footwell where the CCM lays and I do not see any corrosion or shortage whatsoever. I also noticed my driver-rear door would not open from the outside and it's window doesn't work. So I thought to myself: hmmm... maybe this door module is bad and causing the issues with the CCM? So I took off the door panel and the motor was plugged in yet the window wont move up or down. Still the door will not open the from the outside.

Is it possible all these weird "CCM" fault issues are coming from this door module being bad? I heard from somewhere that the CCM wiring goes through the door modules and if one faults, it causes the CCM codes. Is this right? Or what do you guys think?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ALSO! I forgot to mention, but hopefully it will help diagnostic purposes, I noticed when I hold down the window switch for any door (for example drivers) it will go, and randomly stop going down (like it lost power to it) and then if I continue holding it down, it will eventually keep going after. It's pretty random but it will do this "losing power" thing maybe 2-6 times before I get the window fully down or up.
Hopefully this helps! This does this on all windows. (except the driver-rear of course bcuz the window doesnt move whatsoever)

·
Registered
876 Posts
If you're absolutely certain that the CAN splices (twisted pairs) in the wiring harness (located by the CCM) are intact.... I would next suggest inspecting the CAN lines at each door - in particular, in the flexible boots between door & body. Given that you have a hard no-communication fault for the left rear door, start there.

Caution: While the door harnesses are simply snapped into the pillars, do NOT pry them out from outside of the vehicle! You'll break the retaining ring (ask me how I know....)
Instead, remove the pillar trim (it's easy!), and 'pop' the tabs with a flat-head screwdriver from the inside of the pillars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, i will be checking all those wires at all doors and see it everybodys in tact still. However, also i thought to mention, the inside dashboard clock will randomly reset every few hours back to default “12:00”. Hopefully that also helps diagnose the problem if anybody knows.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Module 46 is the CCM, however it wasn't posted. Did any communication come back from the module?

Was the one from the junkyard the same as what was removed (same part number)?

All of the faults in the CAN Gateway are suspicious. My 2002 Passat had a faulty CCM, but I wasn't getting any communication problems in any of the other modules like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I assume that when you replaced the old CCM, you pulled it out from under the carpet, and opened the "waterproof" case, and thoroughly inspected the connections? I don't know if they changed the design between 99 and 04, but on my 99 there are two connectors that split off that cable harness, inside the case, and plug into the actual module. I'd inspect all the pins on the connectors, both sides, and, to the best of your ability, make sure there is no corrosion or breaks in the MANY wires. You might even want to temporarily undo the harness to get an eye on all the individual wires. Make sure there is no sign of water whatsoever.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assume that when you replaced the old CCM, you pulled it out from under the carpet, and opened the "waterproof" case, and thoroughly inspected the connections? I don't know if they changed the design between 99 and 04, but on my 99 there are two connectors that split off that cable harness, inside the case, and plug into the actual module. I'd inspect all the pins on the connectors, both sides, and, to the best of your ability, make sure there is no corrosion or breaks in the MANY wires. You might even want to temporarily undo the harness to get an eye on all the individual wires. Make sure there is no sign of water whatsoever.
Yes sir. I have 2 plugs into the CCM. All pins and wires look great. Not even any wetness whatsoever.
Also, I noticed when playing around with the left-rear door, that the door module on that door isn't working whatsoever. Won't lock or unlock (literally motor wont even try to move) However I confirmed all the other wires in that same harness is getting power (such as speaker, window up-down, etc) So it's truly just the inside electronics in the door module that is bad. Would this cause these ccm codes because I believe the can bus wires run through the door module correct?
Could it possible be just this door module is bad and it causes all these ccm codes?
All other doors work properly, and lock and unlock when told.

Also, I inspected all plugs and wires on the bending boot on both rear doors. All those wires and plugs are fine as well.
Guessing it's just the one bad door module???

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The door control modules are integrated in to the window motors. Each one is a Comfort Canbus node and the Comfort Canbus pair of wires (org/grn & org/brn twisted pair) visits each one, and the CCM, cluster, etc. So a flaky Canbus node can certainly interfere with every node on the bus. Not a common failure, but it could happen. (I've troubleshot a number of industrial Canbus networks... mud does annoying things, hard to find.)

The window motors are pretty straightforward to change, just be sure you get the exact part number and color code. I presume the color code determines some internal coding, but it's apparently not field changeable.

As a test, you could unplug the offending door at the pillar or by the driver's foot, clear the codes, and see if any of the others come back. (You can leave the speakers plugged in; they have their own connector.)

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,957 Posts
You can change the control module without removing the window. Once the motor is unplugged, the module is inside the plastic housing with about 6 plastic lock clips holding it in place. The outer clips are simple to remove, the inners require an angle tip pick. Then the module is pulled out and replaced. I bought a used motor for my son's rear door and it was far easier than trying to get the door apart with the window stuck in the raised position.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure why you're saying the module is integrated with the window motor???
This is the door module from what I'm hearing:

And this is simply a motor for the window:

Am I not correct???

P.S. Also, I changed the door's lock actuator (first picture) and for some reason, it isn't getting power when I click "lock" or "unlock" on the key. All other doors are getting power to the lock actuators. What could be causing this? Wiring to it looks fine to me.

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,231 Posts
The door control modules are integrated in to the window motors.
What he is referring to is that the harness connector that goes to the window control motor has all the wires that control the lock and window motor.
While I'm not an expert on this stuff, the functionality of the window control motor may have some effect on the lock mechanisms depending on what issue it is.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Not sure why you're saying the module is integrated with the window motor???
This is the door module from what I'm hearing:
This is commonly (and semi-incorrectly) referred to as the 'lock module.' It's just a door lock, has zero smarts in it.

And this is simply a motor for the window:
This is the window motor, yes. It's also the door control module. The control unit is what powers both the window motor, as well as the door lock motor (actuator.)

P.S. Also, I changed the door's lock actuator (first picture) and for some reason, it isn't getting power when I click "lock" or "unlock" on the key. All other doors are getting power to the lock actuators. What could be causing this? Wiring to it looks fine to me.
See above notes. :)
Also: Does the window on that door function?

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,231 Posts
This is commonly (and semi-incorrectly) referred to as the 'lock module.' It's just a door lock, has zero smarts in it.

Yes

This is the window motor, yes. It's also the door control module. The control unit is what powers both the window motor, as well as the door lock motor (actuator.)
And yes.

That's what large rectangle thing is on the inside with a circuit board.
The connector that goes to the window motor has all of the door window and lock function signals going to it.

Currently have an issue on my 98 GLS with the window going up and down at will and also an issue with intermittent locking of the lock module, both issues in the front passengers side door.
Replacing the window motor with a used one worked for about a half a year. Now my problem is back again. Going brand new window motor this time around.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Notice that, even for the pretty simple rear doors, the window motor has an 18-pin connector.
All 4 wires from the window switch go to that connector.
All 6 wires from the door lock go to that connector.
Most importantly, the Canbus data pair lands there (org/brn & org/grn (or /lilac)).

This is a networked system. Canbus is the name of the communications network. When you, for instance, unlock the doors by pressing button on the driver's door, that button is only wired to the driver's door window module. It sees your button press and sends a "unlock" command to the other three window modules, as well as energizing the driver's lock motor with the right polarity. The other three window motors/door control modules do the same thing upon receipt of the command.

There is no lock/unlock wire crossing any door hinge. Likewise, no window control wires, no door status wires--pretty much just a couple power, ground, Canbus, and speakers. (Fuel door release and trunk release are exceptions, don't ask me why.)

The CCM receives the signals from the remotes and sends lock and unlock commands over Canbus in the same fashion. The instrument cluster likewise queries each door for the "open" status and displays door open statuses as appropriate (and activates the blasted beeper!).

The Canbus network chip (IC) and all the associated electronics are housed in the window motor, i.e. integrated.

So, you could have one window motor/door control module "taking down" the Canbus network, e.g. jabbering all the time. Thus, disconnecting the offending window motor/door control module from the Canbus should make everything else work ok.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow I feel like a dumbie head.......
I replaced the lock actuator thinking that was the door module, yet infact you guys are correct, that damn window motor is the door module as well xD
Once I replaced the window motor with a new one, no more problems!!! All is working now:)

Crazy to think all this random crap was happening just because of one window motor :O

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.