Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 02 Passat towed to the dealer for what looks like another coil pack failure. The problem is that all 4 coils were replaced with the J type coil a year ago after the exact same type of failure. I checked them all myself, and know they were the J.

I was going to buy a couple of spare coils for the trunk, but never did. So I ended up stranded with my wife and my 8 month old. If you are thinking of buying some spare coils, I highly recommend it. $50 for some peace of mind is well worth it.

Even worse, the car came loose on the flatbed and smashed into the cab during braking. So now I need to get some body work including a grill and some of the bumper. Ugh. :mad:

Has anyone else heard of the J's failing?

BTW-- The dealer service advisor stayed after hours to provide me with a rental car. I called right after they closed and told him about the situation and he stayed more than an hour late. So a big thanks to Vijay @ Frank Z imports in Dayton, Ohio. He really went out of his way for me tonight.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Well, i had mine replaced and never had a problem since then, i guess i will be crossing my fingers, but it has been over a year now, so maybe it was yours only??. I'm not sure bro, but i do feel bad about you guys being stranded on the side of the road, espacially for the baby :( . You make sure to get the towing Co. for the repairs on your front end so, it is he's fault for not securing the car up there :mad: . Good luck....later....rah.... :b5: :thumbup: .

·
Registered
95 Posts
How many miles do you have on your engine? I had similar concerns, as I have 3 'm' packs and one 'j'. I was assured J's are ok, but as car was at or near 40,000mi the spark plugs were replaced and symptoms have not returned. Perhaps your mechanic could swap out newer ones anyways, since your car was battered in transit... But, should you go the spark plug route, keep in mind that oem plugs are about $16 each, and that with a paid mechanic changing them, you could be looking at $100 for plugs alone. There are many posts and debates about what plugs are best, how to change, etc, on this site. Good luck to you and yours.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car only has 19,500 miles on it. The first failures of thr H coilpacks were at 6,000 miles and 18 months ago.

We'll see if it is the coilpacks or something else. I'll post again as soon as I know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Ouch! Insult to injury. Sorry to hear the news about both the need for body work :shock: and the coil packs. My H's were replaced prior to any signs of failure. The replacement helped alleviate that "sword of Damocles" feeling. But the sensation is coing back with news like yours....

Please keep the board posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called the dealership and found ot that 2 of my J series coilpacks failed. The confirmed that the failed coils were the J series. He replaced those 2 with the L series and will be sending the failed J's to VW corporate for investigation.

I will not again settle for only having 2 "good" coils. So I politely informed him that I will only accept the car back from service with all 4 coils replaced. We'll see where that goes. I mean, COME ON VW! How much PAIN do we have to endure because they buy crappy products? :evil:

Again the service was good. they even took the car to their bodyshop for me to get an estimate on the tow-truck inflicted damage. So i'm happy with their service, not with their products.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
If he replaces all four of the L's, have him throw the two J's that didn't fail into your trunk for future use...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

The dealer replaced all four J coils with the L-type coils at my insistence. I didn't have to fight very hard, but I was assertive and friendly. So overall, I am very pleased with the dealer's service.

I have also ordered 4 replacement L coils for my trunk. I will not be stranded by this problem again. The coils are only $18.36 at drewparts.com with the clubb5 coupon.

I can't imagine anyone buying a VW with these types of problems. I have a feeling that VWOA is going to start realizing they have a REAL quality problem when people stop buying their products. :thumbdow: to VW quality.

Good luck to everyone out there with the J coils. Buy 2 spares and be secure for only $36.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd bring it up a notch and have them install new plugs while they're at it since yours have been misfiring- - -
- - - - - - - - - - at least have him check if they are fouled.
Sounds like you have a good rep to deal with. Since plug replacement is part of scheduled maintainance at 40k you may be able to get around Vw's claim that you cover the cost for them.
Does a vag-com identify a bad coil or will it simply read as a misfire?
good lead on the coils for the trunk, and good advice for anybody in arctic conditions. I used to have a datsun 510 and carried around a new set of points in the trunk for when I'd fry the others at high altitude.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
tazmo
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing