Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So I am the proud new owner of a 99 Burgundy Station Wagon, 1.8 with the Tiptronic. First VW I have ever owned. I pick the car up this afternoon, so no pics or fun experiences or anything like that yet. So far I think the car is great though. I have spent a couple of hours in it on test drives.
Wait there is a question. It needs a few minor things fixed, the one that really bugs me is the "blanks" in the dash around the radio and what not. Is there a good used parts place where I may find some of these? The guy before had XM in the car and drilled some holes in two of these for the wires and this just bugs me.
Next what is up with the radio and the CD changer? Is the changer stock on these cars? This one is not even bolted in, just slides right out. Is it just my radio or does AM really not work? How hard is it to put a new radio in? I have a great Clarion competition head unit that I would love to install in anything.
Thanks for the advice and hope to get to know a few of you soon.

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
778 Posts
If I understand correctly, it seems the previous owner had an aftermarket stereo in the and then removed it and put the OE stereo back when s/he sold it to you. If you OE stereo is sliding in and out of the dash it is because the person who re-installed the OE stereo did not do a complete job. The OE stereo is not supposed to slide in and out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Bodaddy said:
Hey all,
So I am the proud new owner of a 99 Burgundy Station Wagon
You misspelled "Colorado Red Variant". It's the best B5 color, BTW; congrats!

Bodaddy said:
one that really bugs me is the "blanks" in the dash around the radio and what not. Is there a good used parts place where I may find some of these? The guy before had XM in the car and drilled some holes in two of these for the wires and this just bugs me.
Next what is up with the radio and the CD changer? Is the changer stock on these cars? This one is not even bolted in, just slides right out. Is it just my radio or does AM really not work? How hard is it to put a new radio in? I have a great Clarion competition head unit that I would love to install in anything.
You can get replacement blanks from the dealer. You might want to hang on to the old ones in case you want to mount a switch or run an iPod wire or something. Lots of possibilities.

The CD changer is optional. You can buy a bracket and screws that will let you mount the changer to the shelf, which will fit the VW changer or the Panasonic CX-DP601 equivalent. You can also just use a strip of velcro to hold it in there.

Lots of people complain about the AM reception. It may be a problem with the antenna or its connector behind the head unit. Yes, you can replace the HU, but make sure it's compatible.

Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!
I never really thought of it that way, Colorado Red Variant! I guess since I am not the one from around here that is why. I am originally from New Orleans, only a native through marriage!
My radio is in there fine, it is the changer in the back that is just kind of in there. Fell out when I was test driving the car the first time. Just something else to see about getting fixed or replaced.

Thanks again,
Shawn

·
Registered
205 Posts
busydanny2002 said:
welcome to the club...u should attached the changer with couple screws to the first aid compartment inthe trunk. it s so eassy
^^^

you might want to blow out the tire tool/CD changer compartment w/ compressed air before you bolt the unit down. They get dusty. Also check out the Information Forum for some good tips!

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Bodaddy said:
Thanks guys!
I never really thought of it that way, Colorado Red Variant! I guess since I am not the one from around here that is why. I am originally from New Orleans, only a native through marriage!
My radio is in there fine, it is the changer in the back that is just kind of in there. Fell out when I was test driving the car the first time. Just something else to see about getting fixed or replaced.

Thanks again,
Shawn
It's not Colorado Red because you're from Colorado, it's Colorado Red because that's VW's name for the color of your Variant.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Variant is VW's creative word for station wagon. with the OE head unit, there are two spring-loaded clips, one on either either that maybe be missing/broken, and that would be the cause. shouldnt be hard to install a new stereo.
welcome, and enjoy

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
maybe VW calls it variant, and the brits call it an estate just cause. like 99% of the rest of america does.

Daniel :crazy:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey Bodaddy, welcome. I don't know if you had this feeling with your Honda, but if you love your :b5: , your :b5: will love your right back. You'll also find that the Rocky Mountain area B5-ers are very friendly, although I haven't taken advantage of that fact as much as I could have. I'm in Thornton and I have a VAG-com, in case you get any CELs or other trouble codes. We can also use it to put your Tip in Sport Mode, (been wanting to learn how to do it to mine anyway), and do lots of other cool stuff. As far as your AM radio goes, you're just unlucky. My Passat's AM works great but I have an Audi A4 that has absolutely no AM reception. :crazy:
-Mark

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
quality_sound said:
Who in America calls it an Estate? :???:
It's a European thing:

Wagon = Estate

Sedan = Saloon

...because that's what they're more likely to be parked in front of. :D

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
quality_sound said:
Thats what I was saying. Daniel said Americans call it an Estate. :crazy:

Paul :thumbup:
no i didnt!!! oops wait, yea i did. not paying attention while typing. what i meant was:

maybe VW calls it variant, and the brits call it an estate just cause. 99% america calls it a wagon, except our select community.

or atleast i thinks thats what i meant. my brain is way too scrambled over some equations i was supposed to derive from thin air :nervous:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts