Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month after getting my new 04 Passat Wagon 1.8T, condensation started building up on the windshield. The re-circ button does not illuminate when depressed (probably doesn't work--is it stuck on or off, I don't know). Dealer has replaced the HVAC control unit but to no avail. They have suggested that the after market radio installation might be the problem. Talked to the installer, who examined the installation and can't see any issue.

I have to run the AC on the windshield all the time in order to keep it clear. In the middle of a sunny warm day, but more noticeable when it's cooler and in the evening.

Any thoughts before I go back to the dealer?

sr

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Is it definitely condensation (actual water) or is it a hazy residue?
The plastic in newer cars (and some car care products) tend to give off vapors that build up on other surfaces (most obviously on glass).

Oh, and on my '99 B5, the recirc button is disabled when the vents are set to defog/defrost. No use in trying to defog with recirculated humid air.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
More info on this thread here...it might save some questions and answers!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd=tshow&id=1637558

Key Exchange of Info:

Quote, originally posted by Altair 4 »
Well, that's interesting. And this happens on a dry, sunny day?

SR> Yup.

Okay, have you checked the coolant level lately? I'm thinking it's possible that you've got a slight leak in the heater core. That could explain condensation under some strange conditions. Ehhh, it's probably not this, but still worth checking (check those carpets, first, though).

SR> Will do.

Besides having the AC running, is there any other time that your windshield is not fogged?

SR> Yes, when it's sitting in my driving, not running.

I could see if you have the AC running full bore during a humid summer day, you could get some condensation on the outside....

SR> It's on the inside. Plus it never gets that hot in Ottawa!

And, just to be sure, we are talking condensation as in moisture? You're not referring to fogging of the glass from the 'outgassing' of the plastics within the car, right?

SR> It's moisture--I can wipe it away with my finger. No idea what outgassing is.

One other thing, when you press the recirc button on the HVAC controls, you should hear a quiet "hummmm" as the control door on the HVAC activates (opens/closes). Do you hear this sound?

SR> My recollection is that I don't hear anything. I'll check when I get home.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Didn't somebody hear have this identical problem, and it turned out that the windshield had to be removed and reset in place? Or am I smokin' crack?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.