Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to polish the outside of the lens to get it clear, but I also noticed a fair amount of condensation inside the headlight assembly. Can the lights be taken apart, cleaned and resealed or is there a nicer replacement lens. Also, where is the best place to purchace replacement HID bulbs? I have not seem any below $90 and I know that you guys did a HID kit for $60 including bulb.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
x2 on what Newman said. You can open them but you have to bake then in an oven for aboit 6 to 10 mins at about 325. I know this seems like a lot of heat but for that short period of time its really not. i wrapped mine in a towell to protect them from the metal pan just in case then pryed them right apart. After you take them apart you can clean the lens real good and get any dirt in there out. Try and remove as much of the old Siclone as you can before you put them back together. Go to an autostore and get a good silicone sealer stuff. put the siclone back in the track of the housing and pu the lens on. Now i wrapped a cloth belt around the lens real tight and put back in the oven again to remelt any old left scilone and help the new stuff bond to the lens better. take out, let cool, and re-install.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,909 Posts
1 more question... The halo lights that you can buy, some say works with HID. Does that mean I can use the factory HID and add a new lens with Halos?
Yes, you can, bu as you probably know, it isn't exactly plug and play. There is a fair bit of work to get everything wired up correctly and functioning the way they should.

·
Registered
29,150 Posts
You will not need to bake the headlights. Just leave them sitting in the sun for a few hours and the sealant will be soft enough to pry the lenses off. I've done it here, so SA should be warmer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.