Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Condensation in the oil? Normal? Come on, water in the oil? Usually this is a very bad thing...how is this normal. I understand the heavy use of aluminum, but really? I live easily 30mi from work...and I drive hard usually breaking 100mph at least for a moment...and condensation...still? I know its winter and 10'F...temp gauge reads all systems normal.

Any comments, corrections, suggestions...is this really normal?

03'/1.8T/15Kmi/fresh oil (Mobil1 0W40)/filter (Mobil 1) - hum...possible bad reaction with fuel injector cleaner (long shot)?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Bump for more info. I hear people complaining that they have condensation in the oil, but i duno if it is normal or not :???:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
spot on the dipstick...almost a light brownish color. There is no "peanut butter" consistency as seen in previous threads. However I am concerned. I'll run tomorrow, and check it when I get home, while the engine is still hot. I have a feeling that this could have been created by leaving the hood open after I got home for about 2 hours. (15/20'F outside) Nothing on the cap or in the filler area...everything appears to fresh and clean. I'll keep you posted. :suspicio:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
thats most likely from short trips where your engine does not get the chance to warm up.the only cure is to change the oil and try to make sure your car gets to normal operating temperature . it will not cause any problems if theres a bit if condensation btw. :thumbup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked during lunch today...better but a small spot of light brown. Is there any additive to help evaporate any moisture in the oil system, or is it nothing to be concerned about.

atomicalex - made a good point, I changed my oil this last weekend and it was bitter cold...that could contribute to the moisture in the oil system.

-Views and opinions welcome -

·
Registered
272 Posts
Does it look like this

This what I found on the dipstick of my '04 Mazda RX-8. It is condensation and should not be a problem. It is caused by too many short trips in cold weather. The moist air is moving up the dipstick tube then the water molecules are condensing. I changed the oil in the car and there was no trace of this stuff in the crank case. just take it out for a 1 hour drive on the interstate and that should burn it off.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just read this the other day:

Make sure you keep the fuel level above 1/4 of a tank in the cold temperatures. When you fuel tank is low, condensation forms because of the excess air molecules in your tank. It could lead to increased engine wear over time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts